Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA

I use 3 devices to access my Arlo cams. My phone, my tablet and my PC. It isn't possible to add my PC to known devices for the 2 step verification process. Every time I try to access my cams via my PC, I have to get the code from my phone and enter it in my PC. Would be much easier for PC users to have the capability to list the PC as a known device. 

Comments
NorCalBenny
Aspirant

I setup the Two-Step Verification on my Arlo 2 camera system using Safari on my MacBook (macOS Catalina version 10.15.5).  I found I have to re-verify with a new text code every time I login.  I also tried using Chrome on my MacBook.  I’m hoping the Two-Step Verification will remember my computer, so I won’t have re-verify with a new text code every time.

Using Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station VMB4000

Any ideas?

Thanks

pc2k17
Hero

When is arlo going to fix 2 step verification and allow you to add your computer as a trusted device?

I'm using the new chromium based Edge browser and I have no option to trust the computer I'm logging in from, forcing me to enter the code every time I log in. This slows down the log in process allowing potential thief's or rioters more time to do what they do before I can act. I use the computer more than the app for arlo simply because the app is slow to load and I'm on my computer more than on my phone for daily use.

Not sure why arlo choose to implement this feature the way they did. Same thing for the last 3 years with arlo, 1 step forward and 2 steps back. For now I'll turn it back off and hope for a fix before the end of the year.

Al_FR-153
Aspirant

This is needed.  I don't always have my phone with me when I am on the computer and want to work on my Arlo settings.  This is a PAIN to have to go get the phone just so I can log in.  Time to fix it.

nthawkeye
Aspirant

Why is Arlo support totally silent on this "issue"?  As many have mentioned before, in this thread and others, it's quite common practice to do a one time "trust" step on the browser of any particular type of PC/browser.  To have to go through a 2nd-factor authentication every single time on the SAME PC/browser is just totally a 20th century workaround.  

Arlo support, please pull your head out of the sand and put this fix in.  It's elementary stuff!

ponier
Fledgling

+1 to adding PCs (well, a browser instance really) in trusted devices/clients.

Turning off 2FA is definitely not an answer, as it strips away a layer of protection from the service that has a lot of (possibly intimate) personal data.

Also, the 2FA method Arlo has chosen is outdated - SMS 2FA is not secure and is easy to break/spoof. They need to implement some more modern option and let the user choose which option to allow and which one to disable.

Nancy_L
Apprentice

I thought I would get a head start on the 2-step authentication.  So that didn't work!  Arlo, how about remembering my browsers on my PC.  Having to hunt down my iPhone every time I want to use the PC to log into Arlo is not working. Please fix this issue!  I am turning off 2-step.

MJanis
Guide

I agree with "nthawkeye".  When PC is acknowledged as a "trusted device" - it should not ask you again.  The same should apply when you sign into Arlo on a different phone (my husband's) - if you accept this device as trusted - it should not keep asking you. 

Arlo need to fix it quickly. 

M Janis

Dammer16
Fledgling

Warum ignoriert Arlo so konsequent die Anforderungen der Kunden?

Dood
Apprentice

Why can't I authorize my phone and my PC so I don't need to go through 2FA every time I use my PC? Which engineering group thought this was a user friendly idea that made sense, and how did the idea make it out of that group through all the layers to become the new way Arlo works?

Bad idea. Change it.

ljkeryc
Fledgling

This has to be fixed for the PC.  Not sure how the design team would find this acceptable.  You're not inventing anything here since this technology for PCs is well understood.