Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo solar panel longer charging cable

The USB charging cable for the upcoming Arlo solar panel is 6 ft. However, in order to position the solar panel correctly for a few of my outdoor cameras that will be under eaves or awnings, it would be great if the USB charging cable was available in a 12 ft length. Please make this available as part of the ordering process.

Comments
SecureMeNow
Novice
I have the same issue and thought 1.8m is more than enough until I tried to install and found it is just 0.5m too short based on straight line and would look ugly.

I embarked on looking for an extension but none seems to have the waterproof fit.

As a last resort, I took the plunge to extend the cable myself thinking it is just power so a two core cable would do - well kinda,, until reported “unsupported” (can’t remember the exact message).

After thinkering, I found the minimum is 3 conductors is needed (red, black and green).

With that knowledge, I proceeded to extend the cable with a CAT5 cable (8 core) and bonded each twisted pair together to reduce voltage drop.

My new cable is now 4.8m and able to place the solar panel is a more optimal location as well as able to hide/route the cable under eaves and securing to the inside of fascia board.
JDuBose
Onlooker

I would like Arlo to produce or recommend a longer (30ft), or greater cable that would go from camera to a solar panel. This would allow us to position the solar panel in the best location for recharging. I'm using the Arlo pro.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

gregwilson86
Novice

I see that longer cables are a must with a lot of users, and looking at the dates of posts the manufactures still haven't taken this into consideration. I was on LIVE chat and told the cable to connect my wireless outdoor camera's was only 8.2 feet long. 8 feet? Um ok. Part of my chat transcript today:

"Well I see that I've done everything I can to make these camera's work because I like them, but there are so many negative points against them. Hopefully I can still take them back. You've got to be kidding me that the cable is only 8' long. You need to tell the manufacturer to make a longer cable, because I'm sorry 8' is a joke."

"That's as tall as me with my arm's stretched out and that isn't even close to an outlet for my outdoor's. People use these for outdoor security, but it's not very user friendly to actually use conveniently."

"I will still recommend the product no doubt, but if I did some more research whereas I fully knew I could only plug in a camera to have CVR mode, but the OUTDOOR camera up in my soffits had to be plugged in within 8' feet of an outlet, I would have passed."

So is there going to be an option for a 25' cable, but I was told only 8.2' is currently available?

Jd79
Novice

Me, too! I bought this yesterday and we need more that 6 ft to get it out of the shade and face south. 

Jd79
Novice
So, I bot the solar panel yesterday because my battery has to be recharged every few weeks. I’ve had the system (arlo pro) less than a year. I don’t have sunlight within 6 ft (the cord length). Arlo/Netgear does not offer a longer cord and apparently has been asked for an option for years based on what I’ve read on these boards. I’m returning the solar panel ($75). I’ve liked the arlo pro system until the batteries started depleting within weeks of recharging. I have the power settings at the lowest I can figure out and optimized as the app says. Wish I could return the whole thing....
paloeser
Fledgling

Make a plug-in 10 foot cord to add length to the cord between the solar panel and the camera.  This would solve multiple installation problems.

dianneG
Novice

VMA4600, The 6 foot cable/wire connecting the Solar Panel and the Arlo Pro 2 cameras is 

way too short, if the designer had checked other solar items being sold in the 

United States they would have noticed that 10 foot cables/wires is the minimum

lengths being used with lights, motion detector lights and so on. Actually most 

solar items have a 20 foot cable/wire!  I live in California and I have to put 

my solar panels on the roof for best performance, think about the people living in 

other parts of the United States with way less sun, a 6 foot cable/wire is not long enough, for exterior use.

food for thought 

Snowg
Novice
Please extend the length of your solar panel to fit onto cameras and provide an extension lead to couple onto existing set ups as the lead is too short for a lot of applications. Many customers feel the same way Arlo- Netgear. Please listen to customer needs. Surely a extension cable could be produced to maybe double the length on certain device locations that the standard length is too short to work. Saving moving the camera to a location that is not as ideal or suited to make the solar panel work.
Jimbo_in_VT
Observer
I just bought 2 solar panels and an outdoor power charger. I need a longer cable for one solar panel, possibly both. The cable disconnects from the panel so the power cord can be replaced but I don’t see any extensions available. Why? Seems like there is a demand for it and the product is ready to accept one. I wasted $70