Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Is that possible the base station can add wireless jammer detection?

I am not sure how Arlo base station handshaking with its wireless cameras, assuming for power consumption reason, the base station only push data to its wireless cameras when there is a configuration change or user command. Wireless cameras only inital data communication to base station when there is an event triggered.

The idea to implement of this jammer detection feature can be,

1. The base station always detect SSID of other networks around itself and build nearby WiFi stations SSID history list.

2. If base station detect's RSSI suddenly go up and make this WiFi channel not usable, then, begin to detect other channel's RSSI within WiFi ISM band. If all channel's RSSI value almost same and all channels are not usable, then,

3. You can use SSID list history data, RSSI threshold value and noise persisting time to trigger jammer detection event. I believe with this three parameters, you can filter lots of false trigger like interference from microwave oven, vacuum machine, etc.

4. User can set jam detection sensitivity level from Arlo app. With the Jammer detection event and its sensitivity level, the base station can send alert to user mobile device. The base station should always keep a log on cloud regarding its jammer detection event history.

I think this should be a very importent feature for wireless security camera. You cannot prevent wireless jam, but at least you can alert it. And there is no hardware upgrade needed for this great feature.

Comments
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

Udk
Novice
Novice
I hope that the Arlo devoloment team are checking this community, because I have a suggestion that will help all the Arlo users around the world.

I have another security system at home without cameras (from sikkerthjem) (I have Arlo pro3) and when the system detects interference between the wireless sensors such as a person trying to jam the signal with a WiFi jammer I will get a notification that there is possible jamming going on and then I can check my home. I would like to have the same opportunity with my Arlo system because all wireless systems are vulnerable to jammer. It is easy an cheep to buy jammer so that the Arlo system is no use. That’s why I have a system more with wireless sensors.

So Arlo would you please update the software so all of us can get a notification when the cameras are not connected/ because of inteference?

Anybody who knows if Arlo is thinking about this?
Udk
Novice
Novice

Thank you for your input on the subject. It sounds like you know a little bit about how the systems work. I don’t know very much about it and I only have my other wireless security system to compare ( that doesn’t have cameras included). But the system is also fully wireless with battery powered. I have used it for over two years without having to change batteries and I haven’t have one time false alert about possible jammer attacks.