Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

I have 80+ Arlo Pro cameras and the only thing I want is better PC file names!!!

I have two business accounts that each contain 40 camera + base station pairs. Each of these cameras sit in someone's house somewhere in the country. Each block of 40 cameras is shared with a third account that I use for monitoring and downloading everything at once.

I don't understand how such a user friendly security camera system can spit out such an unfriendly file when downloaded via a computer. Shouldn't a downloaded clip show the camera name, date, and time? Why do the users need to run the file names through a converting process? Why do I have to use a mobile device or tablet just to keep the file names meaningful? 

I know most people aren't trying to download 5,000 files a day from 80 different cameras but I feel like it shouldn't matter.

...it would also be nice to have the option to add a timestamp to the clip prior to downloading...so it is more of a "rechargeable wireless security camera".

Comments
wusnowflake
Initiate

Meant to say, "Each block of 40 cameras is shared with a 3rd account that I use to monitor and batch download".

jult
Star

Yes, this lack of local time filenaming is worryingly retarded, for a company making networking and IoT equipment.

My own other brand cameras are named like, for example

20180113_22h45m09s_897878.mp4

but it would be just as easy to have it name the filename ending part with the cameraname of choice, like so:

20180113_22h45m09s_backyard2.mp4

Pathetic, that they could not even offer that into their 'highly sophisticated' cloud storage solution.