Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Greater Geofencing Control, Camera Grouping, and HomeKit

First off, I bought my Q+s about 6 months ago and love them. I spent quite some time researching the options, even considering setting up my own home security server and I'm convinced I made the right choice.

That said, here are my three "I wish" items which would really make this a perfect solution in my mind.

I wish the geofencing option went smaller.

I love that the system arms every time I leave home and disarms when I return. It would be even better if the radius of the geofence was a bit tighter (maybe an extra small radius?) If I take my dog for a walk I get a couple of blocks down the street before the system kicks on, and if I happen to circle back to that tapas place right down the street then Arlo thinks I'm heading home when I'm really just after some Spanish hor d'overs. It is a bit annoying.

I wish I could group my cameras for mode control and notifications.

Having multiple cameras at home is great, but I almost always want them to be on the same mode. For example, I don't think I have ever run into an occurrence where I needed one inside camera armed while another was on geofence. What generally happens is that when I need to change the mode, I have to individually repeat it for all cameras. It would be fantastic to have them grouped to simplify this: "indoor cameras," "outdoor cameras," "probable zombie attack zone one cameras," and etc. This would also cut down on the annoyance of tons of notifications. My phone goes bananas in my pocket when I do finally make it out of the geofence, when I really just need it to tell me the indoor cameras are armed.

I really, really, really wish you would integrate Apple HomeKit. 

I have already sunk quite a bunch of money into my Arlo system and I'm quite impressed with it. I would love to see the additional integration that would come with tying it to Siri and the other HomeKit enabled devices. How great would it be as I'm falling asleep to just ask Siri to turn on my downstairs camera knowing that if my dog decides to try and take another dump on the carpet down there in the middle of the night then Arlo has got my back... Or how well Arlo would integrate into HomeKit Scenes. You get the idea. Pretty please?

Thanks!

Grady

Comments
JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

dcwilkins34
Initiate
Camera grouping to arm/disarm is largest outage of the product. You wouldn't arm/disarm individual window and door sensors in a home security system.

The camera video quality is excellent. I like the app interface in general. Trying to understand what I gain / give up if I integrate with my SmartThings hub.
sidartha
Aspirant

Yes, we need to have integration with the Homekit!

AndyForReal
Aspirant

Looking to change over to Homekit from Smart Things when iOS 11 launches.  Would be great to have this type of integration!

arloolra
Novice

I live in an apartment and would like an extra small radius for geofencing. It shows me as home when I am at the store or restaurants nearby. A custom variable or slider for the fence radius woud be even better. Disappointed this was suggested over a year ago without being implemented.

I would also like a "night mode" or sleep timer setting so that the cameras are on motion detection while I am home but asleep. 

Zachfarra
Fledgling

Geofencing options!!!! If I'm home, I still want my outside cameras motion detecting. Yes "sleep mode" Geofencing and select camera alarming combined... I feel these are very important security features.

bpchristensen
Follower

@Zachfarra I'm pretty sure you can use geofence mode with "schedule" for the "home" status.  Then set the schedule to your normal sleeping hours.  Unfortunately there is only one "Schedule" mode, and it can't be customized other than to set up the times and days that it is armed (or set to a custom mode).

trx300ex
Fledgling

Did you ever find a way to group them "indoor" & "outdoor" and use seperate schedules or geofencing to arm/disarm them?

i see all the post about using custom rules, however i do that but you can only select 1 "trigger" camera. so i cant seem to group 3 cameras and indoor and turn off when i am home or at least not notify me, but arm the 3 outdoor cameras all the time.

ideas?

thanks in advance.