Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Google Home Support with Arlo

I understand that Arlo does not currently support control with the Google Home or streaming with the chromecast. My question is why not, and is it on the to-do list? You have already done it with your other partners like Amazon Alexa, SmartThings, IFTTT, etc. You have the infrastructure in place for talking to other web services, so why not partner with Google? It would expand your market to all of the people who use Google's products, like myself.

In fact, IFTTT and SmartThings are already partners with Google themselves. So sure, you could use IFTTT or SmartThings to control you Arlo through the Google Assistant/Home, but you cannot do what your other smart camera competitors are doing my partnering directly with Google and their services.

For example, you could ask your Google Home to show you your front door on your TV.

"Ok Google, show me the Front door on the TV."

Or ask the Google Assistant on your phone to pull up the feed on your screen.

These are all things that you can do with other products. So why not Arlo? Why hold back?

Comments
gavman00
Fledgling

It's still not working for me.  I've tried multiple times over the past week to link my Arlo account via Google Assistant - Home Control and I continue to get the message "Accounts now linked" followed by "Something went wrong. Try Again".

rxvuong
Aspirant

I've been trying to connect my Arlo account to my Google Assistant/Home for the past 2 weeks. I receive a "Successfully linked your Arlo account" message... but it's not listed in my devices to control. Anybody else have this issue? If so, are there any solutions without having to unlink everything on my Google Home?

JamesC
Community Manager

rxvuong,

Try unlinking Arlo from your google home and try to link again. Do you still see the same behavior?

JamesC

rxvuong
Aspirant

JamesC, 

It says that Arlo is successfully linked when I try to but it actually isn't available on my Google Home devices list for me to "unlink". 

smarthomesolver
Fledgling

It took a little troubleshooting, but I was finally able to get this working! 👏 I didn't have any issues linking with Google Home, but my problem was that the commands provided by Arlo/Google simply didn't work. I had to rename my TV to get it all working. Here's a quick rundown video showing how it works now: https://youtu.be/eXg7KZ1WTQ0

I created an account on here because I wanted to share the video, hoping it helps save someone some time with set up so they don't make the same mistakes I did.

Rat100
Observer

from day 1 Ive always said "stream (camera name) on tv" and its always worked 

Samsung js8500

Chromecast v2

Arlo pro 

rxvuong
Aspirant

Thanks for the input. I've gotten arou to connect to Google home. Didn't do anything differently but kept trying every week or so and it finally registered. I'm able to stream my feesf to the TV. Next question is, can you give voice commands to activate custom modes? I can arm and disarm the cameras via voice but I've been having trouble getting it to recognize my custom "Home" mode.