Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Getting Arlo certified by insurance companies

I believe that is would be in the best interest of both Netgear and the Arlo community if Netgear would get the Arlo system certified by insurance compaines such as Farmers, Allstate, First Security and others.

this would not only pleace Arlo in the upper tier of security monitoring systems but also allow Arlo usrs to benefit from reduced insurance rates.

I beleive this is something that Netgear should seriouly consider.

Comments
Hula_Rock
Prodigy

RoyMilano wrote:

I believe that is would be in the best interest of both Netgear and the Arlo community if Netgear would get the Arlo system certified by insurance compaines such as Farmers, Allstate, First Security and others.

this would not only pleace Arlo in the upper tier of security monitoring systems but also allow Arlo usrs to benefit from reduced insurance rates.

I beleive this is something that Netgear should seriouly consider.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My wife works in Risk Managment for a MAJOR insurance company.  She saw me battle with the severe motion/record lag that the wireless cameras have.  AND  i QUOTE....  "  There aint now way in HELL that insurance companies would touch this".........

RoyMilano
Tutor

I don't know what everyone is complaining about a lag in the motion recording.  I have had the Arlos for several months and not only do they pick up motion fast they have terrific battery life.

if you adjust the motion sensitivity up the cams respons almost instantaneously. If you keep the recordings under 20 seconds then the batteries last for at least 5 months (I am still on my original set that came with the cameras!).

i have shown it to several insurance agents and they all like the system and suggested that Netgears should attempt to get them approved.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy

Just on first hand experience alone, I can attest to the lag (and many more)  I had a FedEx box taken from my Fornt Door.  The thief walked up my 30 foot drive way, back down, and only then did Arlo catch something........... His foot.

If your depending on these WEBCAMS alone to protect your assets and family, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you.

I have owned these webcams almost since day 1 and found flaws that are unsettling.  e.g.  what happens when you lose power to your house, what happens when you lose internet connection ?

I hope have a couple layers to back up your Arlo system.

p.s.  good luck with the insurance.  I'm pretty sure  that Actuary and Risk Managment will shoot down your insurance brokers when and "IF" they investigate this system.

RoyMilano
Tutor

For some reason, I do not have any of these issues.  The cameras work flawlessly both day and night with only a 2 second delay.  You should make sure you have the sensitivity up to at least 90%, have the latest firmware, fresh batteries (do not use rechargeable lithium batteries as they cause the cameras to work irradically) and that the camera lenses are kept clean. Dirt on the lenses or IR will delay the start.

As for the Internet and power... I have the Netgears access point and my cable modem on a ups which gives up to 4 hours of coverage since the drain is so low and my internet connection is backed up by a sprint cellular connection so I never get an outage.  This setup is a must for any serious home internet that is used for security monitoring.  Anything less would be a crime as you would leave yourself open to power and Internet outages.

my insurance agent and insurance company provided these guidelines for home security systems using the Internet as the mode of transmission.

my home monitoring system (environment, etc) is also on the same network.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy

As far as my Arlo set-up, I have all 3 cameras set at 100%, run lithium batteries and have them installed according to instruction.  I am not the only one experiencing these problems here in the Community. There is an entire thread dedicated to motion dectection problems here on this forum.

As far as my Home Network.  I have a dedicated 1 gigbyte FTH service backed up by a Generac home generator.  The internet service is backed up by MIMO 4X4 LTE.  Even with this set up a network outage is still posible since Cellular and internet connections most likely share the same back haul infrastructure, it could happen.  (if it does everything is backed up by .45 .40 ACP)  🙂

Arlo, for me at least, is hit and miss, too many misses caused me to take HOME SECURITY SERIOUS. so serious that I installed a wired 24X7 FOSCOM system.