Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geolocation / IFTTT custom modes / improvements

Hi,

I am genuinely excited to see geolocation and IFTTT has been implemented, and yes I know its still 'Beta' but while it is still work in progress i would like to suggest a couple of improvements....

1) You need to support multiple devices. it makes no sense to have the cameras arm as I leave for work, only to get tons of videos of my wife leaving 10 minutes later.

You need to check for all devices to be out of the area before arming the cameras.

2) It should be possible to schedule 'geolocation' control.

Currently geolocation cannot be included in the schedule, which means i need to change the mode manually if like me you set them on during the night when you go to bed.

3) IFTTT - support 'custom' modes.

Currently you can only choose the standard armed or disarmed modes, you need to include for custom modes as well as being able to select gelolocation mode..

This would mean you could use the 'do' trigger to change mode quickly, helping to ease the pain of issue 2.

Overall though i have to say i am impressed with the additional functionality, but please Netgear, keep us informed of what you are working on!!!!

Kind Regards

Nick

Comments
arloi
Follower

Allow Smartthings and other partner integrations to turn on any modes available in Arlo app. The Arlo API has a limitation that doesn't allow partner integrations to enable any modes available in the app. This will be a great feature to have as it enables the Arlo camera range to work as part of a Smarthome.

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

@DawnM

Has this progressed ?

"We might consider it some time in the future is not much in the way of an update.

It's been open for several years.  IFTTT integration is largely useless for many of us without it. 

Disarm mode does not allow you to leave outdoor cameras on when you are at home.  A basic use case.

Wetzel402
Tutor

Plus 1.  I've been waiting for this too.  I hope Netgear will roll this out sooner than later. 

JonasLinde
Fledgling

Me to!  This feature would greatly improve home automation posibilities, wich today is pretty limited with only an full arm option.

scrampker
Tutor

Why is it that SmartThings can individually control each camera, like a light switch, yet IFTTT cannot? Kind of a bummer. I'm having a lot of problems getting Arlo geofencing working with a friend's device, and normally life360 is enough for other platforms.

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
@DawnM Any update ?
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

This thread may be confusing as it contains three different ideas. 

I and many of the folk here want IFTTT fixed to support custom modes.  ARM and DISARM are useless if you leave outside cameras on when you are at home.  A basic use case. 

Is the issue of IFTTT support for custom modes the item under consideration ?  If it is would it not be better to list it for future consideration under its own thread ?

@JamesC @DawnM Your thoughts please.

ikanell
Star

@XJW is absolutely correct.  I have exactly that use case: Outside cameras that stay on when I'm home.  I would love to be able to use IFTTT to switch to that mode.  Right now I use IFTTT to arm my cameras when I leave, but I have to manually put it in "Home" mode when I return.

StretfordEnder
Apprentice

I have a mixture of indoor and outdoor camera and like others when I come home would like certain outdoor ones to remain armed. 

In addition i find the Arlo geolocation hopelessly useless for my partner and I. 

So currently i use the follwing workaround which which isn’t ideal but is satisfactory. 

I use IFTTT and Tado (our heating system which has an excellent geolocation system) to arm/disarm cameras. And then use schedule mode to turn on an “evening” mode for external cameras and then later on an “in bed” mode for all of them but ignoring sound on the indoor ones. 

So I leave Arlo in schedule mode permanently. Tado sends an arm signal via IFTTT when last one of us goes out or disarm when one of us comes home. And schedule mode switches into evening and in bed mode. 

ikanell
Star

@StretfordEnder , I don't understand how your workaround works.  When Tado sees you're home, it disarms your Arlo cameras.  So your outside Arlo cameras stay disarmed until the next schedule event turns them on.  That could be minutes or it could be hours.