Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geolocation / IFTTT custom modes / improvements

Hi,

I am genuinely excited to see geolocation and IFTTT has been implemented, and yes I know its still 'Beta' but while it is still work in progress i would like to suggest a couple of improvements....

1) You need to support multiple devices. it makes no sense to have the cameras arm as I leave for work, only to get tons of videos of my wife leaving 10 minutes later.

You need to check for all devices to be out of the area before arming the cameras.

2) It should be possible to schedule 'geolocation' control.

Currently geolocation cannot be included in the schedule, which means i need to change the mode manually if like me you set them on during the night when you go to bed.

3) IFTTT - support 'custom' modes.

Currently you can only choose the standard armed or disarmed modes, you need to include for custom modes as well as being able to select gelolocation mode..

This would mean you could use the 'do' trigger to change mode quickly, helping to ease the pain of issue 2.

Overall though i have to say i am impressed with the additional functionality, but please Netgear, keep us informed of what you are working on!!!!

Kind Regards

Nick

Comments
sep2li
Tutor

Hi - same requirement on my side: I really need IFTTT triggers for custom modes, not just the built-in Armed and Disarmed Modes. Everything is configured in custom modes in m setup and not beign able to trigger them really limits my integration options.

Sambr
Onlooker

This would really help me and also push Arlo in the right direction from it's competitors!

Big +1

Striker2
Novice
I know you can arm and disarm arlo pro with IFTTT but I am interested in setting modes with voice. Any suggestions?
ngl1604
Apprentice

I was thinking the same.  Just got into all this and was disappinted to see that IFTTT have removed the capability for individuals to create recipes in favour of the applet approach Smiley Sad

As well as the Life 360 integration (which works much better than the native geofencing for my requirements), I was pleased to see a few applets that allow Alexa to arm/disarm Arlo.  Interestingly, I can find an 'official' Arlo applet to arm but not a reciprocal applet to disarm it (although there appear to be a few alternatives).  I'd really like the option to arm Arlo using a custom mode but alas I can;t see anything that will allow me to do that just yet.  One for the future perhaps?

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo have done enough for them to claim they have an IFTTT interface, but it is so limited that it is almost useless.

When do you plan to provide a useful IFTTT interface ?

ngl1604
Apprentice

+1 to enable custom or scheduled mode. Like other, I am using Life360 as it provides a much better solution for geofencing - it's just that I'd like to have more granular control over my cameras & movement detection than Armed provides on its own (I unable to turn off  movement detection and notification within the configuration for a single camera).

It's 2019 now - this thread started mid 2017. I appreciate that IFTTT have moved the goalposts a little by removing the ability for individuals to create recipes but you'd think that it wouldn;t be too difficult to expose an API to provide what we need?

swebor
Fledgling

I know there is an existing thread on this, but for some reason I could not add my comment there, and since this IS SO HIGHLY IMPORTANT that this happens, I felt compelled to create a new thread to get some attention!

+1.000.000 Arlo guys, we need this functionality, to make the Arlo cameras useful in a smart home integration.

This just makes me so disappointed, guys has been asking and "fighting" for this since 2017 to get this very obvious feature fixed ASAP. But it's not even in Arlo's "Future Consideration" status?! 

Arlo, can you PLEASE put this in "Future Consideration" status, move it to the top of the list, and just fix this ASAP?!

DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Sircoynie
Apprentice

100% agree, this should also include added Stringify functionality and increased IFTTT trigger options etc.

TheBigGExpress
Apprentice

It's been ~2.5 years.

This seems like an easy fix.

Can anyone from Arlo respond ?!?