Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geolocation / IFTTT custom modes / improvements

Hi,

I am genuinely excited to see geolocation and IFTTT has been implemented, and yes I know its still 'Beta' but while it is still work in progress i would like to suggest a couple of improvements....

1) You need to support multiple devices. it makes no sense to have the cameras arm as I leave for work, only to get tons of videos of my wife leaving 10 minutes later.

You need to check for all devices to be out of the area before arming the cameras.

2) It should be possible to schedule 'geolocation' control.

Currently geolocation cannot be included in the schedule, which means i need to change the mode manually if like me you set them on during the night when you go to bed.

3) IFTTT - support 'custom' modes.

Currently you can only choose the standard armed or disarmed modes, you need to include for custom modes as well as being able to select gelolocation mode..

This would mean you could use the 'do' trigger to change mode quickly, helping to ease the pain of issue 2.

Overall though i have to say i am impressed with the additional functionality, but please Netgear, keep us informed of what you are working on!!!!

Kind Regards

Nick

Comments
Angus_Marshall
Aspirant

Agree. Definitely need custom mode support from IFTTT and Stringify!!! Without this it means the cameras effectively can't be automatically controlled in different scenarios, like night time for example

@tomjohnwrote:

It looks like there are a number of threads around the Arlo community forum about triggering custom modes from IFTTT, but this feature request didn't seem to be captured in the idea exchange, so wanted to capture this feature request here.

@tomjohnwrote:

It looks like there are a number of threads around the Arlo community forum about triggering custom modes from IFTTT, but this feature request didn't seem to be captured in the idea exchange, so wanted to capture this feature request here.

. Disappointing. 

jonnymobile
Initiate

Hard to believe they still have not solve for this... it would be a big win, if they did... and it can't be that complex?

To the Arlo gods, please make it so!

Jljohnb
Initiate

Agree with all, very surprised this has not been added. Basic thermostats that have been around for years have been able to break and resume schedules.  This needs to be a priority.  Either add it directly or allow access through ifftt and stringify.

Angus_Marshall
Aspirant
Definitely need custom mode support via IFTTT and Stringify.
GregTR
Aspirant

The current API is a start but it lacks the option to set custom modes, one can either arm or disarm the system which is simply not good enough. I'd like to have access to switching to a schedule or to another custom mode via the API. This should be a trivial change.

The main reason I'm looking for this feature is to use it with Life 360's geofencing option which actually works unlike Arlo's implementation. Why reinvent the wheel when you can already use Life360's robust and fully working geofence feature.

kip23
Aspirant

+1 on Custom Mode action for Arlo and IFTTT. Seems like plenty of people agree. Let's do this!

GregTR
Aspirant

I just realized that with a combination of Stringify and a proper Arlo API exposing the arm/disarm/custom modes I could set up various "Snooze" schedules and switch to those as well as use Life360 for geofencing.

I mean sure, I'd like Arlo to implement those features within the Arlo app but if the API was more robust and open I wouldn't have to wait for Arlo to enable those features as I could just rely on third party integration to do so.

Angus_Marshall
Aspirant

Of course, the fact is that Netgear want us to use their app to switch modes and do everything else. Rather than improve their API and have the service work well from another brand like IFTTT, or Google Home or Stringify. It's so irritating. Because without this ability through home automation, the cameras are pretty dumb and don't connect well to anything else. 

wagon33
Initiate

Where is this necessary feature?

Dn2015
Guide

+1 this feature.  Arlo Geofence can switch between custom modes, but it is consistently unreliable.  Unless all household members are opening the app daily, it fails to monitor if the user is in or out of the geofence.  IFTTT app with Life360 is the only reliable geofence setup I've been able to get to work.

But the limitation of arm/disarm modes for the Arlo service is killing me.  I want to be able to keep outdoor cameras on when we are all at home.  Disarm is not customizeable to keep any cameras running at all.

Please make this update!