Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geolocation / IFTTT custom modes / improvements

Hi,

I am genuinely excited to see geolocation and IFTTT has been implemented, and yes I know its still 'Beta' but while it is still work in progress i would like to suggest a couple of improvements....

1) You need to support multiple devices. it makes no sense to have the cameras arm as I leave for work, only to get tons of videos of my wife leaving 10 minutes later.

You need to check for all devices to be out of the area before arming the cameras.

2) It should be possible to schedule 'geolocation' control.

Currently geolocation cannot be included in the schedule, which means i need to change the mode manually if like me you set them on during the night when you go to bed.

3) IFTTT - support 'custom' modes.

Currently you can only choose the standard armed or disarmed modes, you need to include for custom modes as well as being able to select gelolocation mode..

This would mean you could use the 'do' trigger to change mode quickly, helping to ease the pain of issue 2.

Overall though i have to say i am impressed with the additional functionality, but please Netgear, keep us informed of what you are working on!!!!

Kind Regards

Nick

Comments
whitenack
Aspirant

Yes, I agree with this suggestion.  I would like to be able to set certain triggers with IFTTT, so that I can set up different modes with Arlo and have certain triggers set those modes.

whitenack
Aspirant

I agree.  This would be very handy.

JacquesD
Observer

I would like to see the ability to trigger Arlo custom modes in both IFTTT and Stringify. 

Thanks,

Jack

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Netgear are not going to give this any attention as their priority is new products not enhancements to the existing products.  It is likely a problem in the way their business units are structured and incentivised.  The only solution will  be to encourage a competitor like Xiaomi to develop a competing product.  They will do it cheaper and are more likely to allocate the resources to develop a solution that beats Arlo.

StretfordEnder
Apprentice

In case you aren’t aware Arlo IFTTT compatibility has now been fixed for Tado and possibly other services too. 

So so I can now get Arlo to arm when Tado goes into “our of home” mode. This is far more reliable than Arlo’s native geolocation feature. And when Tado goes into home mode Arlo can be disarmed. 

dangle2k
Fledgling

Just tried setting up custom modes in IFTTT and Stringify and find out it's not possible. What's more I find out this has been a request for some time now and no response! Same with a request for other products like a doorbell cam. Seems what looked like a promising product a year ago is victim to unresponsive customer service and slow product development. Not a good sign and I'm very dissappointed. I've already started looking at other options. 

dangle2k
Fledgling

... unresponsive customer service and slow product development. Not a good sign and I'm very disappointed. I've already started looking at other options.

JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo team is still working hard to deliver new features to all existing Arlo product lines. I encourage you to continue offering your support for new and existing ideas by adding Kudos.

JamesC

TKNT81
Apprentice

When using Arlo in combination with IFTTT it is only possible to create rules to “arm” or “disarm” Arlo. It would be much better and more interesting if it would be possible to enable “custom modes”. 

Such as “Geofencing” or “Planning”

S80keys
Novice

Adding my support for this feature. So much work goes in to creating custom modes, only to not be able to control them with automation.