Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geolocation / IFTTT custom modes / improvements

Hi,

I am genuinely excited to see geolocation and IFTTT has been implemented, and yes I know its still 'Beta' but while it is still work in progress i would like to suggest a couple of improvements....

1) You need to support multiple devices. it makes no sense to have the cameras arm as I leave for work, only to get tons of videos of my wife leaving 10 minutes later.

You need to check for all devices to be out of the area before arming the cameras.

2) It should be possible to schedule 'geolocation' control.

Currently geolocation cannot be included in the schedule, which means i need to change the mode manually if like me you set them on during the night when you go to bed.

3) IFTTT - support 'custom' modes.

Currently you can only choose the standard armed or disarmed modes, you need to include for custom modes as well as being able to select gelolocation mode..

This would mean you could use the 'do' trigger to change mode quickly, helping to ease the pain of issue 2.

Overall though i have to say i am impressed with the additional functionality, but please Netgear, keep us informed of what you are working on!!!!

Kind Regards

Nick

Comments
Ramchops
Onlooker

Disarm is completely useless. Custom Modes and Schedule Mode are absolute necessities for IFTTT and Stringify to integrate Arlo with other smart home devices such as Abode alarms. Why would anyone "disarm" their perimeter Arlo cameras when the main function is to capture video when you can't see those areas all the time. With Schedule Mode I can record those areas without notification during times I may not need to be disturbed (like when my kids are playing in the driveway or my wife getting the mail), and later arm only by schedule for late night activity I would want to know about, and automatically arm the cameras for notifications when no one is home (via IFTTT trigger when Abode alarm is set to away). But I need to be able to set Arlo back to "schedule" automatically when Abode is Disarmed (Via IFTTT or Stringify). Netgear you owe everyone a reply on this valuable feature. 

ElmoZarf
Novice

Please add Custom Modes support to IFTTT and/or to Alexa integration.  Currently we can only use the "Armed" or "Disarmed" modes which don't allow more than one rule per camera (meaning: useless).  This should  be an easy feature to add (engineering effort should be about 0.5 days).  You could make it even easier by having Alexa / IFTTT enable a Custom Mode with a hard coded name like "ALEXA" or "Disarm".  Whatever way that gets us more complex camera rules.

Thanks!

brucemok8
Fledgling

It's 2018 and we're still waiting for this feature!

AJ77
Aspirant

Can you PLEASE make “SCHEDULED” a possibility through IFTTT and/or Stringify??

Muan0710
Follower

This is a no brainer. Without custom modes Arlo’s IFTTT integration is pretty much useless. I am really starting to think about returning my newly purchased Arlo cameras. Netgear seems very slow on rolling updates/implementing new features. 

hdowin
Onlooker
This would be very helpful.
Thyg0d
Apprentice

Suggestion:

Bombard them on Facebook requesting this. Or at least make them aware of their own idea exchange..

zlk2000
Aspirant

PLEAse add the ability to implement custom modes into Steingify. It only allows for arm and disarm. All or nothing which really sucks. Certain cameras that I would like to toggle based on geofencing or scheduling. Would be very helpful

Ramchops
Onlooker

Pinged on Reddit - hoping for response. Go upvote it to get their attention:

https://www.reddit.com/r/arlosmarthome/comments/7rylcf/netgear_needs_to_respond_to_idea_exchange_abo...

Ramchops
Onlooker

Pinged on Reddit. Go upvote to see if Netgear will pay attention.

https://www.reddit.com/r/arlosmarthome/comments/7rylcf/netgear_needs_to_respond_to_idea_exchange_abo...