Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geolocation / IFTTT custom modes / improvements

Hi,

I am genuinely excited to see geolocation and IFTTT has been implemented, and yes I know its still 'Beta' but while it is still work in progress i would like to suggest a couple of improvements....

1) You need to support multiple devices. it makes no sense to have the cameras arm as I leave for work, only to get tons of videos of my wife leaving 10 minutes later.

You need to check for all devices to be out of the area before arming the cameras.

2) It should be possible to schedule 'geolocation' control.

Currently geolocation cannot be included in the schedule, which means i need to change the mode manually if like me you set them on during the night when you go to bed.

3) IFTTT - support 'custom' modes.

Currently you can only choose the standard armed or disarmed modes, you need to include for custom modes as well as being able to select gelolocation mode..

This would mean you could use the 'do' trigger to change mode quickly, helping to ease the pain of issue 2.

Overall though i have to say i am impressed with the additional functionality, but please Netgear, keep us informed of what you are working on!!!!

Kind Regards

Nick

Comments
tomjohn
Guide

Hi PattyPP, this is exactly what's motivating the feature idea requested here. Although, we'll also need to add that it would be great to be able to trigger any Arlo mode from IFTTT, whereas the request specifically mentions custom, but you're also asking for Geo - which makes sense.

Regarding your first problem: Because Arlo already supports custom modes where you can enable/disable different cameras, it makes most sense to create a custom Arlo mode which enables the camera setup you want, and then, if IFTTT could enable you enable/disable an Arlo custom mode, then you'd be all set.

Re: problem #2 - Same thing. If Arlo enabled arbitrary mode triggers in IFTTT (including Geo), then you could re-enable Geo at 5am when the Arlo schedule mode disarms it, with another IFTTT time trigger.

Please add a kudos to this request, and feel free to redirect others with similar issues to this request so that we can get the Arlo team to acknowledge/add these features to IFTTT.

Arlo team: Would be great to have access to trigger all Arlo modes, including custom modes in IFTTT, and including Geo.

Thanks PattyPP.

PattyPP
Follower

TomJohn,

I do have custom modes set up for night time and vacation.  But as you say, IFTTT can only access Arlo's generic "arm" and "disarm".  Having Arlo access these other custom modes would solve one problem.  The other option would be for Arlo to do this outside of IFTTT.  In other wors, have a way to program Arlo to switch between the Geo and Schedule modes as you leave and return home...

tomjohn
Guide

Agree, and makes sense PattyPP.

I opted to request the IFTTT route, for a couple reasons.

1) I'm integrating Arlo with Samsung SmartThings, where IFTTT is the perfect conduit between the two. My use case is based on trigger events that are external to the Arlo system (additional presence/motion sensors that aren't cameras or phones).

2) Thinking through the work required from the Arlo team, the IFTTT route seems like an easier solution for them, given that it doesn't require Arlo to replicate the more complex trigger functionality you're describing (which I'm guessing many Arlo users won't need/understand), and also relieves the Arlo team of providing another more complex UI for this functionality throughout their apps across multiple devices/web interface.

It does sound like being able to trigger any Arlo mode through IFTTT would solve both your problems. But, please let me know if I'm wrong about that.

Best

Bezzerj
Novice
Really need this functionality added asap.
Vaplan
Initiate
Yes I would like to use geofencing to have the system disarmed when at home during the day but armed at night when I'm at home without having to go into the app mode to arm my cameras. In other words, I would like the option to put geofencing on the schedule.
PattyPP
Follower

TomJohn,

I might have found a way, using the Arlo GeoFencing:

1.  Create a Custom mode.  I call this "night at home".  In this mode I select which cameras I want turned on, and what I want each to do when triggered.

2.  Create a schedule using the Arlo "Schedule" mode.  In this schedule I turn "Night at home" mode at 11:30 PM and turn it off at 5:00 am

3. In "GeoFencing" Select mode, I use the "Arm" mode for away, and "Schedule" mode for home.  

In theory this should work.  But I see it gets "lost" after 24 hrs.  I suspect it has to do with it turning into "disarm" mode after being on "schedule" mode all night.  It should go back to the GeoFencing mode (since it was "called" from that mode) but it isn't doing so.  It just stays in unarmed mode, and I have to manually put it in Geofencing mode every morning.  But at least this is a progress!

I use IFTTT.  I have set up some rules in IFTTT to arm motion sensing when I set my home alarm on, and turn it off when I disable it.  However, I have also set some rules on my Arlo system that are different from the default, such as when motion is detected on one cam, others start to record.  

In the IFTTT app, I cannot select my custom rules when setting my home alarm.  This seems to me to be a pretty simple add for IFTTT accessibility.  

Treboro27
Fledgling

Please add support for custom modes in IFFT. I wish to enable my custom modes when our house alarm is disarmed, i.e. wHen we are home, and enable all cameras when our house alarm is armed, i.e when we leave.

I also want to enable a reduced sensitivity mode if I get more than X triggers per minute, to automatically reduce the sensitivity on a windy day with blowing trees in view.

IFTTT right now doesn't give me anywhere near the capabilities I was expecting.

Thanks a lot

Rob

oranggila
Onlooker
Yes, please add this "back to schedule mode" action soon. Without it, arm and disarm actions are incomplete because manual switch is needed.
Baoli
Novice

I totally agree with the sentiment here. There ought to be an option for "if you enter an area, set mode to schedule". I have two arlo bases, it is double the work manually switching back to schedule if I remember to do it at all.