Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing - Removing old/unused devices from Geofencing settings

Hi,

Recently i purchased a new iPhone and now when i use the Geo or push notifications it shows my new iphone and my old iphone.  how can i delete my old iPhone from the Arlo App?

Thanks,

Mark

Comments
Coyote6GraphX
Fledgling

Please add a method to remove old phones from the Geofencing Option.  It is annoying to try to figure out which phone is an old/defective phone and which is your current phone. (Yes I know it says "This device" on you phone, but does not when another phone is trying to add you.)  I no longer have access to my old phone, because the manufacturer replaced it.  I have been through all the settings and can't figure out how.  iOS App 2.14

Coyote6GraphX
Fledgling

Wow! I am kind of dumb founded at how poorly this is being handled.  I search all the FAQs and couldn't find the answer, so I suggested a feature (to which no related articles were found by their search), and then get my feature request changed to a reply to this thread that has been going 3 1/2 years!!!!

Paying customers begging for a fix only to hear the sounds of crickets (or replies from others with the same issue).  I have read all 18 pages of this thread at this point and have seen stupid suggestions like renaming your phone and resetting your entire system and account.  Those are terrible suggestions from customer service.  No user should EVER have to change their device name because of an apostrophe. 

If you don't know how to encode special characters, please do everyone a favor and quit programming. An apostrophe is hardly something that should make your app glitch out, and if it does, it leads me to think you have some major security issues hiding else where.

So let me offer Arlo (Netgear) something different.  Hire me to fix this issue at least on the website end.  I am a web developer and have been commercially building websites since 2006.  I have built a couple mobile apps as well, but that was a ways back.   

Or please just have your developers follow this workflow:

1. Create a form listing all the user devices with little checkboxes next to them for authenticated users to use.

a. SELECT id, name FROM devices WHERE use_id = $user_id

b. Put the results from that query into checkboxes using the name as the label and the id as the value

c. Put a submit button on there and set the form with a post action (form tokens and other security items are a plus)

2. When the user submits the form, collect all the devices that were selected into an array.

3. Loop through the array and do a database query to remove each device by ID or even use DELETE FROM devices WHERE id IN ($array_of_ids)

4. Send notification to users that their old devices were removed.

5. (In the mobile app, be sure to refresh their list of devices from the updated database, so the deleted devices no longer show.)

You're Welcome. 

Sincerely,

Everyone in this freaking post!

justason
Observer

Its better than that for me.    someone else is getting my geofencing alerts on his account.

He is NOT on mt GRANT ACCESS list

He is NOT on my enabled devices list (for geofencing)

The ONLY support I get from Arlo is nothing short of :

.....is he on your enabled devices list?  Is he on your grant access list??

.....low hanging fruit, nothing of value.   I find it rather condescending ....

....next up:    did you try unplugging it and plugging it back in??"

The amazon camera systems are looking pretty attractive these days.......I think my Arlo system is heading towards marketplace....

Coyote6GraphX
Fledgling

*** facepalm *** That sucks @justason 

^^^ Love how they figured out to encode emoji's here, but removed the facepalm person, yet apostrophe encoding is an issue for their app.

evil_splorp
Observer

JamesC, unless they're not listed, in which case you are out of luck.

See my post (with screenshots!) to explain this use case: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Geofencing-Removing-old-unused-devices-from-Geofenc...

justason
Observer

@DIO2   is IFTTT a google thing or stand alone ?    I'm a tin-hat kinda guy when it comes to the alexa and google audio sniffers.   dont want them around.

I'd be THRILLED if geofencing was "fixed" to work with just one phone.....it'd be a step in the right direction.

maybe Arlo should roll back under the Netgear umbrella where is was created, might be some talent that can be leveraged to FIX THIS

DIO2
Onlooker

Hi, 

IFTTT is standalone. That said it has partners, including Google, Microft, BMW just to name a few.

I have not had a problem with geofencing since limiting it to just one phone.

justason
Observer

hI @DIO2 

THANK YOU,  I will try the IFTTT app.

I think I stated this in the other thread ....BUT.   my geofence issue is larger than that.

someone is receiving my geofence alerts:   he IS NOT on my access list, and he IS NOT on my active geofence list.

its a real bummer.      I bought this system for the geofence ability........

evil_splorp
Observer

What we really need, at this point, is a method to access the data stored on the Arlo base station. If Arlo won't fix this issue for us, maybe we can be hopeful that some skilled person (would likely need both hardware and software skills related to a router) to figure out how to log into the Arlo base station and edit those records.

justason
Observer

This is just getting humorous now.     Arlo asked me to send screen captures of the alerts on my phone and the other person.    I did........things go quiet........5 days later they reply to the case asking if I still have the issue.

.........with the reminder that the case self expires in 7 days......At this point they are just burning the clock waiting for THE CUSTOMER to give up.

makes me sad