Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Extend Base Station Range (Without using WiFi Extender)

I would like to have a base station range extender device that I can plug into any socket extending the range of my existing base station. I do not want to have multiple base stations. I simply want a solution that is easy and simple to install so that I can have cameras in the garage or garden, while at the same time protecting my house.

Comments
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @Travelingsim,

You can read this article to learn how to extend the range of your Arlo System here: How can I extend the range of my Arlo system?

Travelingsim
Follower
I know about this solution, but it still does not help regarding covering my garage and garden when the distance from my house is too big. I would still like to see just a simple solution where I can plug a device into the socket and extend the Arlo range and not move my internet router or try to connect the base station to a WiFi range extender. It does not solve the problem when the distance is big. I agree that this works inside a house or a garage close to the house. But what I need is a way to give good Arlo coverage multiple places on my property when the distance is too long to give good coverage in both places.
FrednGinger
Aspirant

We had the same issue with our set up, in the end I have laid a 30 metre cable to our shed, plugged into a switch set and added a second base station.  It seemed a bit complicated until after break for dinner.  When I returned to continue the set up it had sorted itself out and I now have 2 base stations and 5 cameras covering our house and shed. 

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Being that the Arlo Ultra system uses wifi, you guys should allow the ability to extend that range through the use of netgear range extenders or an Arlo branded one. If we had the password to the SSID we could easily do this ourselves. I don't think this omitted as a security thing, I think it's to make it so we can't extend the wireless ourselves and have to buy an additional product. 

For the sake of the Ultra to succeed, it needs give us the ability to extend it's wireless range. It's not nearly as good as the Arlo Pro 2's range. I can't go beyond the outside wall of my house with these whereas my Pro 2's can function fine where my property line ends.

DSMagic
Star
Also, the massive bandwidth requirements of 4K video causes a lot of frame dropouts when the camera has a week connection.
pxcarrolo
Fledgling

Why do I have to buy a second Ultra Hub to get the signal to the 4 comers of my house?  

imuscle
Aspirant

I have 13 cameras...I spent a lot of money...I must say, these base stations are substandard.  Poor coverage...constantly going down...yet my home wifi coverage goes almost around the block...I do not have any dead zones...I have read many posts about the poor connectivity with the Arlo base stations.  Really disappointed in the poor reliability of the entire Arlo system.  It seems Arlo wants to put out new, different styles of cameras but lacks the ability to put out a base station that can actually reach more than 100 feet.  Two of my cameras are less than 100 feet from the base station...the signals are always poor and the video quality is always poor...and I will get a "failed to connect" message frequently.  I have tried different base stations and then sold threm on ebay because they are all the same...Not one of them worked better than the other.  How's that for a surveillance system?  I guess I will be told to hook up a second base station...where should I put it?  In my pool?  Because that is what separates my base station from two of the cameras...Customer service has not been helpful...because the problem is with the quality of the base station which cannot be fixed over the phone...

ScottLee
Aspirant

These are pretty straight-forward ideas and very practical..

1. Hub Range Extender: My Arlo Ultra camera is outside on the upstairs patio, literally 10 feet from the Hub inside my office. Between them is High-Impact Hurricane window (Miami) and that's all. however, the camera is reporting only a 1-Bar Antenna connection.  REQUEST: Roll-out a Wireless Hub extender to Boost the Hub signal; it could feature Power-line integration so the signal can travel over the electrical wires without dealing with physical barriers. OR, provide support for 3rd party range extenders with secure Tunneling to protect data as it moves through and into the Hub. Better signal reduces "Lag" time in viewing and motion notifications.

2. CVR Timeline Clips: It's hard to believe this has not already been implemented. Our camera caught a Motorcycle theft early this morning and I had a very difficult time providing the Audio/Video clip to Law Enforcement. With Flash no-longer being supported by the end of 2020, this would be a great time for Arlo to work with Adobe to integrate features of Adobe Clip/Premiere Pro to view, cut and download 4K video clips without having to use 3rd party screen/video capture software.

3. Camera Daisy-chain: If the Hub Range Extender is not feasible, provide software that allows cameras to relay and share their connection with the Hub.  It would be nice to have another camera setup at the far end of the patio, but again, as the first camera only receives 1-Bar signal at 10 feet through hurricane glass; the 2nd camera is useless.  If that 2nd camera could piggy-back the connection to the Hub over the 1st camera, that would be a game-changer. 

All three of these requests are practical and a must for the price we paid for the system and continued service. 

Difficulty should not be an issue as there are pre-existing examples of each of these requests in the real-world; you don't need to create something new, just modify it to fit your product.  

Thank you

MGD1
Aspirant

I agree with this feedback. In my case - as another real world example - communication between camera & hub struggles at 20 feet.  An extender, protocols to use 3rd party extenders, or a solid discount for a second hub should be considered.

Marketing material should also reflect a real world situation and not an empty field.

JehovasFitness
Luminary

Are there any plans to extend beyond the 300 ft range? I could really use another 50-75 ft of range.