Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Exclude areas from triggering recordings

You already have an option to create trigger zones, why not add one to create 'ignore zones'.

I have one tree outside our house that triggers the camera constantly in the wind. the only way to stop it making 30+ recordings in a day is to turn the sensitivity down but then I miss actual events. It would be good to just highlight the tree and say ignore this thing...

Comments
Swimmingly
Onlooker

This feature needs to work regardless of AC power on.  "Activity Zones" only work when AC power is connected.   "Activity Zones" do NOT work when a solar panel is connected to keep the battery charged.  Any excluded area feature that is added MUST work from the battery alone or when the solar panel is connected. 

StephenB
Guru
@Swimmingly  wrote:

This feature needs to work regardless of AC power on.  "Activity Zones" only work when AC power is connected.   "Activity Zones" do NOT work when a solar panel is connected to keep the battery charged.  Any excluded area feature that is added MUST work from the battery alone or when the solar panel is connected. 

It does work, but you do need a subscription.  When the cameras are on battery, the activity zones are processed in the Cloud - which does cost Arlo.

jbb144
Fledgling

This is my suggestion too.

jgold6
Fledgling

Agreed.

The issue with the Activity Zones is that they only affect notifications, not recordings, so even taking the time to try to exclude an area by including everything else, you still get recordings for activity outside of the Activity Zones.

So I think it is good to keep the Activity Zones but add Exclusion Zones that specifically make it so that motion is not even detected in those zones so no recording is initiated at all.

EarlDWV
Fledgling
After setting up activity zones in the video doorbell motion is still detected in the area outside the activity zones. Create exclusion zones so the areas you don’t want to detect motion in are masked.
kneemaa
Novice

Right now we can set activity zones to trigger recordings but there are instances where i need to set an activity zone to not record.

There are areas where motion happens and I need to ignore for various reasons, the only way to achieve this is to create multiple activity zones and try to surround the area you want to negate but this seldom works out with awkward camera angles.

BcBeMe
Onlooker

This would be great.  Then I can move my flag lower so that i can reach it without a ladder in a very awkward location.  I had to raise the flag mount when I got the cameras 😞