Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Enable video file name configurable

When downloading videos through the Arlo app, you get file names with a format similar to <Camera name>_MM_DD_YYYY_timestamp.I would prefer another name formatting, so the question is: Couldn't you make the file name format configurable? My preferred format would be YYYYMMDD+timestamp+Name. This way files would be placed in a chronological order when browsing the archives, regardless of camera source. And that's a good thing when you have multiple cameras!

Comments
Herb
Onlooker

Would like to see the recording identify the name of the camera in addition to the date and time

ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

Good morning Herb,

Thank you for your suggestion! I recommend posting this suggestion on our Idea exchange board as our product development team reviews the suggestions for implementation in future releases.

Click here to be redirected to the Idea Exchange Board.

Best Regards,

Christine

Arlo Team

jguerdat
Guru

Herb wrote:

Would like to see the recording identify the name of the camera in addition to the date and time

If I use the Android app to download the videos it will name according to the camera name as well as timestamp it. For instance I just downloaded a video from my driveway camera which is named "driveway_03_24_2015 12_52_54 <some random number>.mp4". If I do this from the web interface I only get the random number (I'm sure it means something to the Arlo servers).

TomMac
Guru

If I do this from the web interface I only get the random number (I'm sure it means something to the Arlo servers).

its not a random number, but the date and time in a special format

The file name of each video is in Epoch Time. You may convert that filename here:

http://www.epochconverter.com/

jguerdat
Guru

Heh! I was being a bit silly. I figgered it would be something like that, just not the number of seconds from 1/1/1970...

JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

DevonGamlin
Follower

I'm looking forward to batch video download option becoming available. 

But 

Until that beautiful day arrives, could you modify the video file identification name. Trying to sort out multiple video files in the current name format is problematic. AM and PM does not work out in Windows file systems to sort in a time line...... A better format would be date and time separated by underscore.... IE;

20181204_1652

this way sorting files into the time line will work just fine.

thanks

TomMac
Guru

In case you didn't know the file names are in epoch time... a simple sort will put them in order as they always increase in count

to convert to human time go to https://www.epochconverter.com/