Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Disable recording when deselecting Animal Smart Notifications

I just realized that Arlo's Smart Notification's feature (the ability to select animals, people, vehicle's, etc), only applies to Notifications, NOT the actual recordings. I would have thought it logical that if you wanted to turn off pet notifications for example, you would also want to turn off the camera recording? This would allow a camera to filter out unnecessary recordings and limit battery draining. I would assume this is not current behavior as the image processing is perhaps not completed in the camera, rather in the cloud? Therefore, the camera is 'dumb' to the actual motion...all it sees is motion and is triggered on or off...the algorithm is then applied to the recording and a notification sent (or not). Either way, having this ability would stop a lot of unwanted recordings and fiddling around with motion detector sliders.

Comments
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

Klapo
Aspirant

I agree that the most logical would be to also turn off recording when e.g. Animal is de-selected in Smart Notifications.  My cameras are constantly recording as we have a dog in the backyard. I tried decreasing sensitivity using motion detection sliders but this I believe decresing overall sensitiviy of a camera detection which I dont want. Hope Arlo listen and introduce this anhancement soon.

Big-Dave
Novice

I agree it would be logical for it not to record if you don’t want the Notification on.  What would be nice is if the feature is off then you would have a second option to record or not.  Similar to the rules if statement in Mode.