Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Disable SSID Broadcast

Can the SSID Broadcast be disabled or Hidden from the Base Station?  thanks!

Comments
JWowza
Onlooker

I would also like the option to turn the SSID Broadcasting off. At an absolute minimum the option to change the DEFAULT names of the network broadcast. 

Sure, SSID cloaking is pretty trivial to uncover but leaving your SSID a default looking name also invites attention in that it appears you're using default/lazy security practices. Think: if someone can't go to the effort of changing the wifi name from xfinitywifi12345, the bar may not be very high if you wanted to break into their network. 

C'mon, Netgear. This should be baked in from the beginning. I never saw the old Vuezones broadcast so I'm not sure that I believe that it's absolutely necessary. (And just because a lot of people don't ask for it- because they may not know better- doesn't mean it should be brushed off). Kudos to the folks on this page for pointing it out!

network security key???  I thought it would be my security key on my jetpack box but it doesnt work.  Is it something different?

Just setting up a new 2 camera system.. Tried to get the security key password off my wifi to connect and it keeps saying not correct.  I was thinking its the password off my verizon jetpack    Am I wrong???

JamesC
Community Manager

Barbandbuckshot,

The post above is referring to the SSID broadcast from the base station. This is not accessible.

If you are trying to set up a 2 camera system, you must connect the base station using ethernet. You cannot connect the base station to a wireless connection.

JamesC

santoph
Fledgling

Kudos.

Netgear please add this feature.

I agree... allow the renaming of the ssid to be broadcast, and the option to disable/enable it...

cheers,

M

ruffians
Fledgling

Please add this feature. It's not just for security reason, it's also for not unnecessarily showing up in the SSID list.

ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Archived - Not Enough Votes

LewisC
Aspirant

The SSID broadcast originating from the Arlo base station should be optional. The broadcast is unnecessary and only alerts opportunists of the presence of an Arlo system which can realistically be stolen without using any tools.

The broadcast also confuses guests who for the most part don't need to be aware of an installed camera system or even a wireless network for that matter.

I am fully aware that disabling an SSID broadcast offers no technical security but in an area (country rural) where few SSID's are broadcast, listed networks only present theft opportunities and SSID clutter.

The addition of this feature has been overlooked many times due to users feeling the need to share their technical knowledge of how no security benefits are achieved with a hidden SSID. This point is obvious but the pros still outweigh the cons of this feature being implemented.

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived - Not Enough Votes