Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Rules Per Zones

Can you add the ability to have different rules per zone?

I have one camera setup with two zones.

For example:  If motion is detected in Zone 1, then record video for 30 seconds but do not notify.

If motion is detected in Zone 2, record for 120 seconds and do notify.

Can this feature be added?

Comments
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I just purchased an Arlo Q, and generally, I am very pleased.  However, I have one request.  Can you add the ability to have different rules per zone?

I have one camera setup with two zones.

For example:  If motion is detected in Zone 1, then record video for 30 seconds but do not notify.

If motion is detected in Zone 2, record for 120 seconds and notify.

Can this feature be added?

JamesC
Community Manager

bburmas,

This is a good idea. I encourage you to visit the Arlo Idea Exchange and post there so that this idea get's proper exposure!

Thank you for your contribution!

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived - Not Enough Votes

LucRocs
Aspirant

I think the current Activity Zone feature is basic and very limited and have an idea on how to improve it. Can we have Activity Zones (AZ) a little smarter and be able to control what actions to take if the AZ is triggered?

For example, my current Arlo setup has an AZ on my front garden, if anyone steps onto it then my Arlo starts recording and triggers a push notification to my phone. This is fine but only gives me a trigger if anyone enters the AZ and also only footage from the moment they walk onto it and nothing before.  Maybe they have been watching my house from outside but I have nothing to show this with a setup like this. 

If I could setup different AZ and control the actions as below:-

Zone 1 setup outside my home. When activity is triggered in this zone -
Actions
- Start recording.
- No push alert
- In nighttime mode, no flash light. Just use night vision

Zone 2 setup on my front property. When activity is triggered in this zone -
Actions:-
- Continue recording

- Send push notifications

- At nighttime flashlight on

This way you capture more footage of possible intruders but also keep the camera in covert mode if the person doesnt step onto your property and no alerts if this is the case. It would be more efficient that continuous recording and also battery life would still be good. It would also not require as much storage space. I really think this would be an excellent feature and one I would like. 

LucRocs
Aspirant

Ive the Arlo Ultra but see no option to set Activity Zones that just start recordings. How do you do this? It would be very useful.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

Jester_aero
Guide

Yes please add this. I have a dog and want an activity zone near the fence that is triggered by 'animals' do I can see if she digs a hole and another activity zone for the rest of the frame that doesn't alert for animals. Currently it's either all or nothing. Very limited functionality.

kooskortekaas
Aspirant

Yes, choose an activity zone by a different modus in schedule would be very usefull!

T4Viral
Aspirant

Is there a way to have different effects with the different camera zones? Example...I have two zones on my front cameras, 1. yard, 2. street. Is there a way to have alarm activate in zone 1, and not in zone 2? Would be nice to have the alarm sound when someone comes in my front yard, and not go off with every passing car, but I do want to record the cars incase ppl up to no good jump out of a car on the street and approach the home

TomMac
Guru

not at the same time.