Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom alert sounds for Android/iOS

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

Comments
FireBug36
Aspirant

As a small business owner using your Arlo systems, not being able to receive sufficient notification through my application, especially at night, is one thing that is causing me to look elsewhere. What good is your system if the application alerts for an alarm are not distinguishable or heard.

I recently ran into this issue with an intruder on my property. Your notification system failed to notify me properly. I finally woke up after my back window screen was torn free. By the time the notification woke me, the intruders were gone.

If you value your customers and your reputation, please take the time and effort to fix your notifications for IOS users! Give us the ability to choose a notification sound for our application that we can identify and be alerted.

mdh42
Aspirant
According to ShaneS: ShayneS Arlo Moderator ‎2019-11-25 04:01 PM Custom notifications within the app are currently not available at the moment. Does this mean that Arlo is actually working on this? "At the moment" implies it is in the works.
jimstoic
Novice

I wonder whether your survey data is reaching you. I completed the survey that appeared when I opened the community page, but at the end it said there was a mismatch and the survey wasn’t recorded. 

jimstoic
Novice

My hunch is that Apple wants Arlo integrated with HomeKit. I added my cameras to HomeKit, however, and still couldn’t specify notification sounds. The problem there was Apple, not Arlo: the Notification screen for Home has a Home Notification Settings link that opens the Home app, which in turn has a “go to the settings app” link that opens the Settings screen. 

Tomeranaray
Guide

Please add custom sounds to the iOS Notifications. As the Arlo Baby spews outs hundreds of notifications a day, it would be nice change to not want stab myself with a knife in the ear when I hear that default iOS notification alert all the time. 

I changed our config so I get mails on temp, humidity and air quality to lower the number of mobile notifications, I have adjusted the sensitivity of audio and motion, but there are still a lot of notifications in a day. 

Ideally, I can customise the delivery and sound of each of the 5 notifications in iOS. And for instance prioritise baby cries with a louder alert. 

Thanks,

A tired father 

mdh42
Aspirant
Yea I tried the Homekit with Arlo. Found it cumbersome and clunky. Removed the association.
StephenB
Guru
@mdh42 wrote:

According to ShaneS: ShayneS Arlo Moderator ‎2019-11-25 04:01 PM Custom notifications within the app are currently not available at the moment. Does this mean that Arlo is actually working on this? "At the moment" implies it is in the works.

No, it doesn't imply that it is in the works.  It just means that Arlo might choose to implement it someday.

FWIW, I agree it would be a nice feature.

DWC1
Fledgling

Been following this for 3 years. They’re obviously not doing anything to implement a notification option. I added the IFTT app. I set up a phone call option thru IFTT that calls me with a message with date-time-camera # when a camera records motion. Downside. It’s always a minute or so before my phone alerts me using “alarm” ringtone. Sometimes 2 hours. Once 8 hours!  So I bought the pro 2 base with siren option. That screams at me instantly on motion. That is a lifesaver. Otherwise I doubt they will ever change the notification options! 

ti857
Novice
Arlo Team,
Please give us the option to change the notification sound to something other than the standard iOS sound. Every app defaults to “Tri-tone” sound UNLESS changes by the app developer. An example of this would be Snapchat, who created their own tone so that you can tell which app is notifying you without pulling your phone out of your pocket.
Chevyboy67
Tutor

I’ve seen all of these posts for years. It’s sad that when my email goes off with a message from the community I get excited hoping something new has changed. It’s pretty sad that after 4 plus years nothing is done.  The other sad part is these cameras do work the best out there.  I have switched to ring to try it and it lasted less then 3 hours and we’re boxed back up and sent back.  The software is clunky and not forgiving. Any event I don’t think Arlo will fix this option. It will take the brains of a 8 year old hacker to do so