Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom alert sounds for Android/iOS

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

Comments
Dannybear
Master

I found an article on push notifications for iOS if any developers are interested. Just google the text below.

The 3 Ps to Custom Alert Sounds in iOS Push Notifications.

Brandan
Onlooker

Chevyboy67, you are correct, some of the fault is on Apple for disabling this feature, but that does not mean that Arlo can't do their part for it's customers. The Ring app, the one that goes with their spotlight and doorbell cams, allows it's users to select a custom tone for each individual device... on the iOS app. It doesn't use the default Apple system wide tones, instead it has dozens built into the app to choose from, and they are extremely loud. I only know this because my dad uses the Ring products and he is using my old iPhone 6. 

EeyoreJake
Fledgling

Agree with everything above - please please make different notification sounds for different cameras possible.

mdh42
Aspirant

Just read another thread from 2017. "now available for android. Custom sounds, LED light and more. Coming soon to iphone!"

still waiting.

And yes, this is an Arlo problem. Many other apps allow custom tones for alerts. Had I known this, I would have gone with the Ring system.

d12bn
Star
So we cannot set a unique alert tone for iPhone.
Can you change the default sound for arlo?
I’ve tried and cannot figure it out.
Thanks
mdh42
Aspirant

Update on 4/4/2019 and still not able to select sound on iOS 

daniel0319
Tutor

I'll repost the solution:

For iPhone users, here is the solution to (a) keep your Do Not Disturb secure so that you can sleep through the night, and (b) actually set an alarm to wake you up if an intruder comes by.  This is a work around for not having a different notification option through the Arlo app, one that lasts longer and can be customized.  IFTTT and other third-party apps do not work well.  Just follow these four steps on each device.

STEP 1

Must first login as admin (on any device) and enable Email Alerts for each event that you want this to work with.  So if you have a rule called "Night time" and have two areas of motion or sound detection, make sure you check email alerts on both of them.  When you enable the Email Alerts, use the chart that has already been provided regarding phone carriers.  You should Google your carrier's Email to SMS Gateway to confirm these are still accurate or check yours if it isn't on the list; I’m re-posting the one from earlier in the post here.  Just be sure to enable the email notifications and put in the correct phone number and email format.  I would recommend checking it by setting off your motion detector and confirming you receive a text message about it.

Carrier

Email to SMS Gateway

Alltel

[10-digit phone number]@message.alltel.com Example: 1234567890@message.alltel.com

AT&T (formerly Cingular)

[10-digit phone number]@txt.att.net [10-digit phone number]@mms.att.net (MMS) [10-digit phone number]@cingularme.com Example: 1234567890@txt.att.net

Boost Mobile

[10-digit phone number]@myboostmobile.com Example: 1234567890@myboostmobile.com

Nextel (now Sprint Nextel)

[10-digit telephone number]@messaging.nextel.com Example: 1234567890@messaging.nextel.com

Sprint PCS (now Sprint Nextel)

[10-digit phone number]@messaging.sprintpcs.com [10-digit phone number]@pm.sprint.com (MMS) Example: 1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com

T-Mobile

[10-digit phone number]@tmomail.net Example: 1234567890@tmomail.net

US Cellular

[10-digit phone number]email.uscc.net (SMS) [10-digit phone number]@mms.uscc.net (MMS) Example: 1234567890@email.uscc.net

Verizon

[10-digit phone number]@vtext.com [10-digit phone number]@vzwpix.com (MMS) Example: 1234567890@vtext.com

Virgin Mobile USA

[10-digit phone number]@vmobl.com Example: 1234567890@vmobl.com

STEP 2

After that is completed, go to your iPhone Contacts.  Create a new contact with any name (a good one would be Arlo Alert, so let’s go with that for this.)  Name the new contact Arlo Alert.  Press the edit button.

In edit mode, create a new email address, and it needs to be exact: alerts@arlo.com

STEP 3

While still in Edit Mode under your new contact called Arlo Alert, select Text Tone.  At the very top of the next screen, Select Emergency Bypass (this allows the bypassing of Do Not Disturb Mode.)

STEP 4

Now go down to where it says Alert Tone.  I would recommend skipping this section because Alert Tones will not wake you up and last about five seconds.  Instead, proceed down to Ringtones (yes, you can use a Ringtone for your texts if you set it up this way.)  Select your Ringtone, which is essentially a 30 second alarm, and there are a lot of options.  I chose “Alarm” from the Classic menu at the bottom, but you can’t really go wrong here.  You are setting up an alert, disguised as a RingTone, in whatever style you want, to let you know that your Arlo has detected something. 

Save your changes so that your new contact, Arlo Alert, is permanently set to Emergency Bypass and is assigned a ringtone alarm.  Go ahead and put your phone on Do Not Disturb.  Go set off your motion detection.  There is a slight delay sometimes (maybe 30 seconds), maybe better if on cellular, as this process takes a little extra time to complete it’s cycle.

mdh42
Aspirant

Thank you  daniel0319. I did use your solution and it did indeed work. However I found the delays unacceptable.  Arlo needs to fix this instead of customers finding work arounds.

kushdeck
Onlooker

daniel0319: this is not a solution. Either way posting it as a solution in a thread thats used for "new ideas" is just plain wrong. Stop showing the arlo devs that people think its ok for them not implementing custom sounds for iOS users due to some half a$$ work around. If you think any arlo user who just spent 100s if not 1000s of dollars should have to jump thru hoops to setup a non-reliable notification system with your "solution", then you are part of the problem as well. The fact is that this is an issue that needs to be addressed with the higher-ups. This problem is 100% unacceptable and the reason many of their users have now switched to other company's products. In any company that offers services to the general public, the main focus and/or goal should be making the customers happy and supplying them with a product or service that meets their needs so there would be no reason to look elsewhere. This issue is a clear violation of that practice. Since i have been on this thread for almost a year now, i am going to take it upon myself to contact the higher-ups in the company and make sure they are well aware of this issue we all have been dealing with. I advise anybody else as frustrated as myself to do the same. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE ARLO!

daniel0319
Tutor

Take your anger out on Arlo...to say I’m part of the problem is delusional.  I was robbed by someone in my driveway late one night a year ago, which prompted me to pick away at the problem until I figured out a workaround for my issue.  This is the best workaround I’m aware of.  Should I not post it and not share this?  Many people who have messaged me and thanked me.

I agree it’s ridiculous that’s Arlo has still get to fix the problem, but I’m going to use the best option I can figure out.  I have five Arlos around my home, and it’s very disappointing that this product is deficient in several ways.  But to think that the Arlo brass is going to read my post and assume all is well with their customer satisfaction is absurd.