Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom alert sounds for Android/iOS

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

Comments
Chevyboy67
Tutor

This is the best thing I’ve seen in a while I need to sit down and digest this for a min. Also would like to know how to get into the app bundle is this some way of jail break or is there a special program to get in. Please let me know and keep this going. Because if we can have a you tube video on this it’s big for those of us who are die hard Arlo fans and uswrs

PVV1
Follower

What Arlo is missing here is an understanding that 90% of users just want an easy fix. No ‘community’ discussions about app bundles and jail breaks. We need “go to settings and pick an alert”.  Add to the list that if it gets too cold the cameras stop working. And that I get a motion alert when a car is in the street 75 feet away but it doesn’t pick up a human till 15 feet. 

Arlo is a joke and I’ve told many people to look at other platforms. Sadly I can’t return mine so money lost but shopping for nest, ring etc. 

hey Arlo, it’s hard to get a customer. Almost impossible to win one back. 

I have no experience with jail-breaking so I can’t comment on that.  Short of that, I believe this would have to be implemented by the Arlo development team.

PVV1
Follower

Ha!  Exactly!  Chevyboy said jail break. I love the term, no clue tho. 

Atlo lo has no idea that they are missing an opportunity to own this market. People want easy. People want affordable. 

Problem with a bunch of 25 year old software developers. No idea what 50 year old homeowners want. 

dabeastly
Novice

Need to seriously adopt a unique alert sound instead of just cabbaging off apple's system library!

or atleast let us choose a sound from apple's library. i have serious listening fatigue from the one you've chosen because it's already sooooooooooooooo overdone.

Also, dark mode for late night monitoring. i'm going blind as i type this because of all the white!

Chime needs option of tying into the panic alarm sound also.

Otherwise a great product with loads of promise(:

mdh42
Aspirant

Don't hold your breath. Many owners are very unhappy that they cannot change the default alert sound on the cameras.

If I had known about this limitation and the lack of response from Arlo (read don't care) I would have gone with another system.

mdh42
Aspirant

Ok Arlo support.  If you are listening........

Is this in the works or not? Just a simple yes or no.

Gabe343
Initiate

There not listening, I called their customer support the other day, unfortunately the rep on they phone all they can say is this topic has been escalated to the highest level. Also this was the conversation I messaged on Twitter, “when will Arlo update IOS version so that we can change our notification sounds when we get alerts? This has been an ongoing topic of conversation in the Arlo support but no answers....” Alros response, “

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to Arlo. We have no confirmation from our Product Managers yet if such feature will be implemented. Please stay tuned for future announcements.

Regards,
RM”. 

This is the best answer, not the one I was looking for, but at least it going to help me in my decision process for shopping for a new security system. 

I’ve created a petition so sign, share, and maybe things will change. See how many supporters we can get.

https://www.causes.com/campaigns/921334-arlo-please-change-the-ios-notification-settings

Harrow61
Tutor

Hi Gabe - Tried your petition - cannot seem to logon and submit 

To Help Arlo - I have generated a Usecase and Requirements 

USE CASES :- Use case 1  (family with wives and children – sound familiar ?)

After, for the 2nd time beautifully capturing someone breaking into equipment in the driveway -  who was further totally indifferent to the ARLO LIGHT and linked LIFX lights turning on - Just pulled his hoodie up a little higher.

and as I cannot enable the  ARLO base station alarm due to the # of false alarms at night and  the fact that I have infants, that I do not want to be disturbed / traumatised by every false alarm - and a wife who is most understandably most unappreciative of such alarms.

I absolutely need to be able to manage the IOS Alert settings - so when I’m sleeping, my iPhone which is always in my  Immediate proximity can robustly alert , just me !  - without disturbing the whole goddamed household and neighbours  . 

Otherwise my $800 investment - or so I thought,  is utterly useless to protect my family and assets - as I cannot effectively as use it in a well-managed manner as a deterrent.

Further :- As its  4am in the morning (think deep sleep REM) - or it was the last 2 times - having a live sound and Image of the camera in question directly displayed in the unlock / notification centre - will allow a rapid assessment of the situation  and then the response - i.e.  linked to the camera speaker - and have the base station alarm button accessible (but not inadvertently triggerable by someone just woken from a deep slumber) 

:- As I travel extensively for work -  my wife needs to take over this role, in my absence - Indeed this was my # 1 main NEED  when purchasing the system  was for it to act as a deterrent for when I'm away - without unnecessarily disturbing  the family or neighbourhood with false alerts (this is actually counterproductive - and desensitizes peoples response and leads to neighbourhood disputes ) - i did not purchase the system to record endless video of someone ripping me off blind .

Therefore - when I’m away and my Wife and children are alone and - someone or something  is setting off cameras at 4 AM - time is of the essence to have an, appropriate,  proportional  and effective  response.

I.e. :- To allow the user to become rapidly fully situationally aware of the alert (Live video - in the lock / notification  screen)

To immediately put at their disposal - if needed -the most effective and appropriate deterrent ( Talk / base alarm / police / alert friends) 

Requirements (to make it easy for you)

Ability to Provide and manage

Mandatory

On an individual personal IOS device

An alert for an individual camera ( Visual and/or sound detection)

Within user determinable times 

The required alert duration and intensity ( Sound selected / volume / duration/ Vibration / screen flash  

Ideal

Providing immediate situational awareness (in notification centre / lock screen)

Allow the user to immediately trigger an appropriate response  ( Talk / base alarm / police / alert friends) – or just curse that kangaroo and go back to sleep.