Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras|NETGEAR
Top Contributors

Custom alert sounds

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

361 Comments

Any updates on this request  for IOS?  A security system which uses the generic notifications? i mean jeeez even tinder has a custom alert you can hear a mile away -_-

Novice

I have been waiting for an explanation or an update on this for some time. At this point I have had it with poor battery life and the lack of customer service Netgear is offered. With so many people wanting help on this subject and the lack of response, which seems like customers are being ignored, I am going to the Ring. They seem to listen to customers and provide a platform that works better. I also saw they have an app that works like a virtual neighborhood watch that is actually monitored by law enforcement. Stick to routers netgear.

Tutor

I just installed 5 Arlo 2 cameras and 3 arlo lights. Now that I've really realized that I am not going to hear the alerts when I'm asleep, I may uninstall them and take them back to Costco.

Netgear/Arlo could at least say if they are working on this. Doesn't sound like they are. And yes, I have kudo'd the original comment.

Mentor

Too bad iOS doesn’t appear to let users assign sounds to specific notifications.  

I found this link online related to this topic.  If correct, it indicates the sound can be changed by Arlo developers. 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37536591/change-push-notification-sound

—————

For remote notifications in iOS, you can specify a custom sound that iOS plays when it presents a local or remote notification for an app. The sound files can be in the main bundle of the client app or in the Library/Sounds folder of the app’s data container.

Custom alert sounds are played by the iOS system-sound facility, so they must be in one of the following audio data formats:

Linear PCM MA4 (IMA/ADPCM) µLaw aLaw You can package the audio data in an aiff, wav, or caf file. Then, in Xcode, add the sound file to your project as a nonlocalized resource of the app bundle or to the Library/Sounds folder of your data container.

You can use the afconvert tool to convert sounds. For example, to convert the 16-bit linear PCM system sound Submarine.aiff to IMA4 audio in a CAF file, use the following command in the Terminal app:

afconvert /System/Library/Sounds/Submarine.aiff ~/Desktop/sub.caf -d ima4 -f caff -v You can inspect a sound to determine its data format by opening it in QuickTime Player and choosing Show Movie Inspector from the Movie menu.

Custom sounds must be under 30 seconds when played. If a custom sound is over that limit, the default system sound is played instead.

This is the best thing I’ve seen in a while I need to sit down and digest this for a min. Also would like to know how to get into the app bundle is this some way of jail break or is there a special program to get in. Please let me know and keep this going. Because if we can have a you tube video on this it’s big for those of us who are die hard Arlo fans and uswrs

Follower

What Arlo is missing here is an understanding that 90% of users just want an easy fix. No ‘community’ discussions about app bundles and jail breaks. We need “go to settings and pick an alert”.  Add to the list that if it gets too cold the cameras stop working. And that I get a motion alert when a car is in the street 75 feet away but it doesn’t pick up a human till 15 feet. 

Arlo is a joke and I’ve told many people to look at other platforms. Sadly I can’t return mine so money lost but shopping for nest, ring etc. 

hey Arlo, it’s hard to get a customer. Almost impossible to win one back. 

Mentor

I have no experience with jail-breaking so I can’t comment on that.  Short of that, I believe this would have to be implemented by the Arlo development team.

Follower

Ha!  Exactly!  Chevyboy said jail break. I love the term, no clue tho. 

Atlo lo has no idea that they are missing an opportunity to own this market. People want easy. People want affordable. 

Problem with a bunch of 25 year old software developers. No idea what 50 year old homeowners want. 

Aspirant

Ok Arlo support.  If you are listening........

Is this in the works or not? Just a simple yes or no.

Initiate

There not listening, I called their customer support the other day, unfortunately the rep on they phone all they can say is this topic has been escalated to the highest level. Also this was the conversation I messaged on Twitter, “when will Arlo update IOS version so that we can change our notification sounds when we get alerts? This has been an ongoing topic of conversation in the Arlo support but no answers....” Alros response, “

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to Arlo. We have no confirmation from our Product Managers yet if such feature will be implemented. Please stay tuned for future announcements.

Regards,
RM”. 

This is the best answer, not the one I was looking for, but at least it going to help me in my decision process for shopping for a new security system. 

I’ve created a petition so sign, share, and maybe things will change. See how many supporters we can get.

https://www.causes.com/campaigns/921334-arlo-please-change-the-ios-notification-settings