Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom alert sounds for Android/iOS

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

Comments
Brandan
Onlooker
Why is there still no option to customize alert sounds for cameras through iOS app? The Ring app on iOS has this feature, and has had it for years, so I don't think the iPhone software is the problem. I'm getting ready to throw in the towel and make the switch. I'm tired of having to check my phone to see if somebody is at my house, or if it's just another news alert. This is ridiculous.
Cwmmmm
Luminary
I understand your frustration at the moment but hopefully they get something done soon, in the mean time I have changed all my notification sounds on all my other apps just so I know when it is an arlo alert vs a different alert.

Two years ago your community manager stated that IOS support for changing the notification sound was "coming soon" after the android release. It is still not implemented

Please see this thread. https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/change-push-notification-sound/td-p/1208429 where james states; " We have introduced a new feature that allows push notification customization including tone, LED color and more!

Currently available on Android and coming soon for iOS." This was posted February 27th, 2017.

This is base level functionality that your users need to use these cameras for security.  If I would have known this prior to purchasing I would have selecting another brand. There are many posts in the support section on this. Not sure if people know they should submit on the idea page. I would suggest someone look at the long threads where customers are getting very frustrated. While contacting your support team it was stated that you monitor the idea page. There are more likes on this topic than most of the other features that were implemented. "You are losing customers" by not having this feature and we ask that this is a high priority.  Love the cameras, but please fix this MAJOR flaw in your software.

Please give kudos so this gets fixed.:

Two years ago your community manager stated that IOS support for changing the notification sound was "coming soon" after the android release. It is still not implemented

Please see this thread. https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/change-push-notification-sound/td-p/1208429 where james states; " We have introduced a new feature that allows push notification customization including tone, LED color and more!
Currently available on Android and coming soon for iOS." This was posted February 27th, 2017.

This is base level functionality that your users need to use these cameras for security. If I would have known this prior to purchasing I would have selecting another brand. There are many posts in the support section on this. Not sure if people know they should submit on the idea page. I would suggest someone look at the long threads where customers are getting very frustrated. While contacting your support team it was stated that you monitor the idea page. There are more likes on this topic than most of the other features that were implemented. "You are losing customers" by not having this feature and we ask that this is a high priority. Love the cameras, but please fix this MAJOR flaw in your software.

Dalbee12
Fledgling

This issue needs to be corrected ASAP. This morning at 04:39am a guy attempted to break into mine and my wife’s vehicles. I however missed the notification since it’s measly and didn’t wake me up. This guy targeted my entire neighborhood and could have been apprehended diligently if I were able to contact the authorities . CORRECT THIS ASAP!!! 

mdh42
Aspirant

I and many others are getting frustrated with the lack of response on this topic. 

Two things need to happen: 

1. Allow a custom sound to be used when there is a camera alert.

2. Provide a switch to allow the alert to override the Do Not Disturb setting, just like texts and phone calls.

If I had known this was not a feature, I would have kept looking for other options. As it is now, I cannot recommend this to others.

Ultimateboss
Tutor

Any updates on this request  for IOS?  A security system which uses the generic notifications? i mean jeeez even tinder has a custom alert you can hear a mile away -_-

Dub9300
Novice

I have been waiting for an explanation or an update on this for some time. At this point I have had it with poor battery life and the lack of customer service Netgear is offered. With so many people wanting help on this subject and the lack of response, which seems like customers are being ignored, I am going to the Ring. They seem to listen to customers and provide a platform that works better. I also saw they have an app that works like a virtual neighborhood watch that is actually monitored by law enforcement. Stick to routers netgear.

LornaA
Guide

I just installed 5 Arlo 2 cameras and 3 arlo lights. Now that I've really realized that I am not going to hear the alerts when I'm asleep, I may uninstall them and take them back to Costco.

Netgear/Arlo could at least say if they are working on this. Doesn't sound like they are. And yes, I have kudo'd the original comment.

Too bad iOS doesn’t appear to let users assign sounds to specific notifications.  

I found this link online related to this topic.  If correct, it indicates the sound can be changed by Arlo developers. 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37536591/change-push-notification-sound

—————

For remote notifications in iOS, you can specify a custom sound that iOS plays when it presents a local or remote notification for an app. The sound files can be in the main bundle of the client app or in the Library/Sounds folder of the app’s data container.

Custom alert sounds are played by the iOS system-sound facility, so they must be in one of the following audio data formats:

Linear PCM MA4 (IMA/ADPCM) µLaw aLaw You can package the audio data in an aiff, wav, or caf file. Then, in Xcode, add the sound file to your project as a nonlocalized resource of the app bundle or to the Library/Sounds folder of your data container.

You can use the afconvert tool to convert sounds. For example, to convert the 16-bit linear PCM system sound Submarine.aiff to IMA4 audio in a CAF file, use the following command in the Terminal app:

afconvert /System/Library/Sounds/Submarine.aiff ~/Desktop/sub.caf -d ima4 -f caff -v You can inspect a sound to determine its data format by opening it in QuickTime Player and choosing Show Movie Inspector from the Movie menu.

Custom sounds must be under 30 seconds when played. If a custom sound is over that limit, the default system sound is played instead.