Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom alert sounds for Android/iOS

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

Comments
drkanter
Fledgling

What is the solution?????

Yaxleygirl
Novice
PLEASE, PLEASE can this be taken care of?!! I just got this system and it is great except I HATE that I cannot hear the alert when motion is detected. It makes the whole system rather pointless if I don't know that it's being triggered until long after the person is gone. Plus when I'm sleeping there is absolutely no way I will hear an alert. This has been mentioned over and over for a couple years now. Reading up, it seems an easy fix if you feel comfortable jail breaking the iPhone and going in the back way to recode the app. I do NOT feel comfortable doing this especially because with the fact this company could probably fix it really easy and with knowledge of absolutely knowing how to. Imagine how many peoples' pleas you will finally answer if you fix this problem. Plus it just totally makes sense since it is a SECURITY system and without being able to hear it's been compromised, doesn't make you feel very secure. Please, please, please fix this ASAP. Please!!!
Kfern
Tutor

Another STRONG vote....and I want to make it clrear that there are two expectations that should be addressed in this feature: custom alert sounds and the ability to not vibrate. Apps having individual settings for notification sounds and on/off vibration is a basic expectation for the FIRST release of any Android app that notifies the user often.

Frankly it's ridiculous that this was not a feature on day-one. As a fellow Android developer this is an easy feature to implement so the fact that it still doesn't exist 6-12 months after the app is released is nothing short of apathy towards the user-experience and makes me doubt the quality of the app as a whole.

I've seen the moderators mentioning a work-around is to modify the global android vibration settings...this is also unacceptable. Turning off vibrations or changing the sound for all apps just to fix a minor bug in one is not a solution. Period.

PasoWino
Aspirant
Hi Claudia, I'm glad the solution I posted helped you out! Thanks for the note back. If you have time, you might consider posting how you got the "wake up" notification sound on your Android device. It looks like there are still quite a few users that want the ability to get a custom notification when Arlo detects motion. Cheers!
Elul205770
Fledgling

What I have done:

Created a gmail email acct i.e. MynameArlo@gmail.com and made that the destination for my email alerts from Arlo.

On a PC or laptop, not a tablet or phone, I opened that new email account, clicked on the settings wheel, clicked on settings, clicked on filters, chose to create a filter, put in my primary email address I use every day, clicked create, clicked add forwarding address, entered my cell phone text message email address (Google your cell provider's format i.e. If your cell phone number is 800-555-5308 and you have Verizon, your text message email is 8005555309@vtext.com), received the confirmation code on my phone, entered the code in the gmail code entry blank, clicked on forward, clicked on "save changes," logged out, logged into my primary email address, sent an email to my arlo email address, and received a text notification in 6 seconds.

On my phone, I opened the text message, made it a "new contact" Arlo Alert, clicked on text tones, chose a loud ring tone (not text tone), and saved.

Now anytime a test email is sent from my primary email acct to my arlo gmail acct, I get a loud alert on my phone. Next, set off your Arlo motion sensor and see if Arlo is sending the email alert to this new gmail account. Next, create a forwarding filter of the email address (or key words) sends your video clips from, just like you did with your primary email account. Now set off your Arlo motion sensor again and see if you get a text alert. Open that text, create new contact, use a loud ring tone as your text tone. Now set off your Arlo cam again and see if you get a loud alert on your phone.

Elul205770
Fledgling
Next, I'm going to back that up w the VIP alert idea above..... as my idea is better than push alerts but still not perfect for an alarm alert system.
Elul205770
Fledgling
Follow up: the VIP method mentioned above works but the text message loud alert works much faster I.e. 7 second delay, from email inbox arrival to loud alert on phone. I also went into the contacts on my phone, selected the Arlo Alert contact I created above, selected "text tone," and clicked on emergency bypass. I also went to main screen, settings, notifications, messages, repeat alerts, and selected "10," for alerts every 2 minutes for twenty minutes or until I respond.
treaty
Tutor

Currently the Android Arlo app uses the default notification settings.  I would love the ability to set custom notification sounds just for the arlo app (Android has API's that allow for this, Arlo jsut doesnt use them yet),

Additionally, I would like the ability to set seperate, custom notification sounds for each camera independantly.  That way, i can know which camera has been triggered simply by the notification sound. 

Elul205770 instructions worked for me except with some minor changes. I am using an iPhone 7 with Sprint.

Step A: Add Arlo Alerts as a new contact/favorite in iPhone:

1. Select the Contacts app.

2. Select the + (plus) symbol in the upper right corner.

3. Enter Arlo as the first name.

4. Enter Alerts as the last name.

5. Enter alerts@arlo.com in the email field.

6. Select an appropriate text tone for text message.

7. Select Done.

8. Select the Phone app.

9. Under Favorites select the + (plus) symbol in the upper left corner.

10. Select your new contact Arlo Alerts

11. Select Messages.

Step B: Create forwarding address and filter in Gmail:

1. You don't have to create a secondary gmail address. If you already have a primary gmail account go log into Gmail from a PC/Mac and select Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP > Add a forwarding address.

2. Enter your appropriate mobile provider email-to-text email address. For Sprint use [your mobile number]@pm.sprint.com or [your mobile number]@messaging.sprintpcs.com. If one doesn't work try the other. Google the other mobile providers for the email address.

3. Enter the confirmation code from the text message to confirm the forwarding email in Gmail.

4. Be sure the radio button 'Disable forwarding' is still selected.

5. Now select Filters and Blocked Addresses > Create a new filter.

6. At the create filter pop-up window enter alerts@arlo.com in the From field.

7. Select Create filter with this search.

8. At the 2nd filter pop-up widow place a check in the check box 'Forward it to' and select your now confirmed email-to-text mobile email address in the drop-down box.

9. Select 'Create filter'. The other filter options are optional. I sent up my filter to Skip the Inbox (Archive it) and Apply the label Arlo Alerts. This sends all of my Arlo Alert emails to a separate folder and it keeps my inbox clutter free.

Hope this helps!

cybaritic
Fledgling
This is really basic functionality. Netgear please add this!