Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom alert sounds for Android/iOS

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

Comments
IsmaelP
Onlooker
Dear Arlo and Potential Buyers of Arlo Products,

There is a major flaw that the Arlo App for IOS has that could make Arlo’s technology to detect intruders useless for customers trying to always be alerted of what’s going on around or on their property using Arlo products. That flaw is that Arlo has not given its customers the option to change the notification sound on their IOS devices for their Arlo App. The sound of a notification from the Arlo App you will get if you are using an IOS device is the default notification sound you would get from Apple’s News App or Game Center. I thought this would be an obvious feature for the Arlo App developers to be directed to add, but unfortunately I am one of the many customers that have been inconvenienced and have posted on Arlo’s community page about Arlo’s inaction to give its customers the ability to change notification sounds in its Arlo App on IOS. It’s important to be able to distinguish the sounds of when my Arlo Pro 3 camera detects an intruder that is on my property and when there is a notification from my News App, especially when I am asleep. The default notification sound for the Arlo App has not been distinct, causing the Arlo App’s notifications to not alert me of potential dangers or motion my Arlo Pro 3 cameras detect near or on my property when I can only rely on the sounds my phone makes to alert me. For example, when I am asleep or driving. I spent over $400 on my Arlo Pro 3 Cameras and the lack of the option to change notification sounds has made me regret my purchase. The major flaw in the IOS Arlo App has made me not want to buy more Arlo products because of the lack the Arlo App has when alerting me of motion. This flaw in the Arlo App for IOS is also a major pity for Arlo’s technology because Arlo devices’ motion sensing technology is superior to a lot of other brands’ devices, but what is the use of Arlo’s technology that is supposed to alert people, when the Arlo App does not alert people? Arlo, as a company, do yourselves and your customers a favor and make an option for customers to choose distinct sounds they can hear when the Arlo App notifies them about motion.

Sincerely,

Ismael Perez
arlouser9404
Novice
Please please allow IOS users to change the notification/alert tone. This is available for Android users, but not Apple users. This seems like a basic function that I never thought to ask about before buying. Arlo alerts are very important and it’s unfortunate that the alert tones have to blend in with all my other alert tones (emails, calendar alerts, etc.).
Pjondeck
Observer

Ismael, you have enunciated the problem accurately thank you, and arlouser9404 you have made the very pertinent observation about not being aware that this basic facility would be incorporated and thus did not think to ask before buying. Do you ask the car salesman if the car has wheels? The system (for which I paid almost $1000) is supposed to be an intruder detection system, notification of an intrusion should be core to the purpose.

Under Australian consumer law I can still return the system, not sure how long I will wait for a solution.

Come on Arlo, at least acknowledge these posts and give us a bit of feedback. (if you see this of course).

Jozipp
Fledgling

When will the ARLO IOS app allow selective alert sound selection.

Pjondeck
Observer

28 January 2015. Yep, that's how long we have all been pissing into the wind with this issue. I personally have just about had a gut full of Arlo's ignoring the requests of it's customers. What sort of Mickey Mouse outfit is it really?

Come on Arlo, wake up, you have a responsibility to your customers who have shelled out significant amounts on this system with no prior advice of this basic shortcoming. As an intrusion alert system it is bloody near worthless.

Peter Davey

CaptainBoeing
Novice
Be able to change motion alerts on camera to allow identification of which camera sensed motion.
JCdM
Initiate

I agree.   It's an URGENT need pls.

It's possible with I-Phone.  Some applications are already  selecting a long piece of music (or ring alert) in order to know that it's a burglar detected outside and not just an SMS or a mail.

Thanks

rinam
Novice

I agree, I had this with a much cheaper competitors wire-free camera system. It is VITAL that I can distinguish alerts between cameras. I am thinking about returning the system as a result. I upgraded because I thought I was getting a market leading product, but this is the second feature now that was on the other system that is not available with my brand new Arlo Pro 2 wire-free setup.

pge
Onlooker
Onlooker

Also ”low battery” has the same notification sound as ”person detected”. It’s not nice to trigger yourself awake in the night due to a battery alert. 

i have disabled all other ios notification sounds except arlo , but inside arlo I can’t disable other than motion alerts. 

it feels like arlo is a hardware company without a software department. The arlo application hasn’t received any love in a long time although new hardware products are shipping. 

maybe arlo is not a sustainable business. 

Pjondeck
Observer

Yep, I think you might be right, not much/any interest in the people who have purchased their system.

I too am over this. Arlo don't even read this forum I'm sure. I have spoken to them and asked them to check out this topic but no response. I laugh when I get their emails advertising new system components. No way I am going to throw good money after (at the moment) bad. I think I have talked a couple of people out of buying the system until if ever this gets sorted. How hard can it be. They try to fob it off to Apple but that's BS, it's in their interest to pursue it and Apple are ready to work it, I have had lengthy discussion with them too.

Has anyone had problems with a flaky app with iPhone? I often have to close the app and reopen it sometimes a few times before I can access "mode".

Wonderful!!