Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom alert sounds for Android/iOS

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

Comments
ButchZ66
Tutor

It would be nice to have a different sound event specified in the camera settings instead of the app shortcut.

This way, for example, for the driveway entry have a sound notification like a car horn and the front door camera have a different sound like a doorbell.

When live streaming and not PARTICULARY paying attention, it would be nice to DIFFERENTIATE  by SOUND what area is being triggered by motion and automatically know where the event is without viewing.

THANKS

Dood
Apprentice

It has been more than two years since Arlo said it was going to update so iPhone users could change the push notification tone. What's going on? 

mazzat6980
Fledgling

I was just about to submit this same idea. Please get this done ASAP! 

karinadb
Fledgling

Amazing how Arlo implemented the custom notifications for Androids back in 2017 and yet IOS is still lacking that feature as of April 2020. Three years, the original 2017 thread even states that Arlo was working on bringing the feature "soon" to IOS. I'd like to hear Arlo's definition of "soon" because 3+ years later would not be mine. 

How misleading and a horrible way to treat your customer base considering this idea was posted back in 2015. I wonder how many IOS users they lost to competing companies for something so simple as custom notification feature that even WhatsApp has. 

Pjondeck
Observer

I've been sold a pup. The system is not fit for purpose. Under Australian consumer law, regardless of warranty I am entitled to return the system under this premise. The ability of a surveillance system to alert intruder condition is a basic no brainer. I am going to give it a month and if Netgear are so disinterested in this issue then I will be happy to return then system. GET WITH IT NETGEAR.

Pjondeck
Observer

I spent an hour on the phone yesterday with AppleCare. The agent did a login to my phone6 and we went through the system comprehensively to be sure that it was not an IOS issue. It is definitely the Arlo ap simply missing a bit of code. I also spoke with Arlo support nine days ago, the agent informed me that it could be fixed by downloading a bit of software possibly from the Arlo site. He promised to send me instructions to do this by the next morning. I am yet to get the promised email. I called back yesterday only to be told by the Arlo agent that "the engineers are working on a fix for this issue". I pointed out that they have now been "working on the fix" since 2015!!!

I was promised a callback yesterday to update me on the situation. Surprise surprise, no calls again.

It's a bloody disgrace Arlo/Netgear!! 

Chevyboy67
Tutor

I’ve read your comment and was able to speak with someone else this morning on this topic which I have done to a before.  Netgear is staying that it is on the iOS end not Arlo.  And they say there is a fix for it but they are waiting for a response from Apple.  It’s been 5 years.  The bad part of this is I like the way the software works better then any other camera company   It’s just I like iOS and not droid.  I did switch one year to a galaxy note 8 and let me tell you.  It was so nice to do what ever you want to the phone for alerts.  Any app you can give it a sound.  But I did switch back to Apple because the phones are junk   I say that we all post on social media how bad the service is and the bad timely fashion they are taking to fix this.  E YouTube and make a video twitter any platform to get your voice out there.  Someone will bend sooner or later.  Or you just do like me and chalk it up and I’ve tried for 5 years 

Pjondeck
Observer

Chevyboy67, thank you for your comments. I agree we need to push this and keep it alive. I fear though that Arlo don't even look at this forum even though they host it. Customer service/awareness at it's worst. I agree that the system is excellent in all other respects. It's a great pity really, I know two people who would buy it in a heart beat but I alerted them to this issue and they are awaiting resolution. When I spoke to AppleCare and through a remote logon to my iPhone was able to show the agent exactly what happens, he wondered why Arlo have never contacted them to resolve the issue. They were more than happy to work with them on it. I too am a bit of a rusted on iPhone user and reluctant to change to Android. You would think it in the interest of both organisations to resolve this, they can potentially both lose customers if it isn't. I had a prowler one night, good video on two cameras, police are investigating. I wasn't aware of the intrusion until the following morning!! 

If someone in the Arlo organisation reads this can you PLEASE give us some feedback?

Chevyboy67
Tutor

When I spoke with them   They were going back and forth on who’s end it was on.  They claim Apple.  And said they were working on it.  We need a top person from netgear to facilitate this immediately   But in order to get a rise of someone we need to blast them on social to get this to happen.  There are worse and more stupid apps that have configurable alerts.  This must be fixed.  I have been waiting since day one.  And I have switched to droid just to be able to configure alerts but I don’t like the phones themselves.  I want to be able to do this on my iPhone.  
please please netgear fix this. 

sanctum
Onlooker

Dear Arlo team,

This is ridiculous! You promised a solution in 2017...

Its a no-brainer! Just do it!