Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom alert sounds for Android/iOS

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

Comments
Dannybear
Master

Arlo never visits the forum,  they rely on the support cases to manage their work load. Unfortunately weeks can go by before they get to your case. Understandably they have to fix their bugs secondly to new products, so wish list comes last.

roberttalbot
Observer

chocodog.. If you find a good camera option, please let me know as had a Gutful of notification and buffer issues on these Cameras..

daniel0319
Tutor

I am not having some of these issues with my system for these custom alerts when using the workaround that I’ve posted several times (and again below.). You can customize the Arlo Alerts contact that you create with a RingTone lasting 30 seconds, rather than a mere beep (see step 4).  That same ringtone will work with any Mode checked with Email Alerts and can bypass DND.  There is a delay issue that can range from a few seconds to maybe 30 seconds, which I assume has to do with the communications from your system to their email server back to your phone.

That said, Arlo is really negligent here to the point that I won’t be a repeat customer.  It took me, a non-programmer, a couple of hours to figure out this workaround by doing some trial and error.  This isn’t not a solved problem, considering it’s tricking your iPhone into thinking Arlo’s server is a personal contact.  They have a staff of software engineers skilled in both Android and IOS, and the issue goes unaddressed?  How can you release a simple product designed to alert you of things but fail to address very rudimentary user needs when it comes to these alerts?

I also have no idea why the Sirens aren’t at the actual cameras and instead at your router, through the master Arlo component.  The idea is so absurd I don’t know how common sense didn’t hit somewhere along the product path.  The cameras have speakers!

I’ll probably give these five Arlos another year, until then battery charge becomes even worse, and then onto a new product.

Follow directions below if you want to be alerted with a 30 second ring tone (I use this as my night/intruder solution.)

—-

For iPhone users, here is the solution to (a) keep your Do Not Disturb secure so that you can sleep through the night, and (b) actually set an alarm to wake you up if an intruder comes by.  This is a work around for not having a different notification option through the Arlo app, one that lasts longer and can be customized.  IFTTT and other third-party apps do not work well.  Just follow these four steps on each device.

STEP 1

Must first login as admin (on any device) and enable Email Alerts for each event that you want this to work with.  So if you have a rule called "Night time" and have two areas of motion or sound detection, make sure you check email alerts on both of them.  When you enable the Email Alerts, use the chart that has already been provided regarding phone carriers.  You should Google your carrier's Email to SMS Gateway to confirm these are still accurate or check yours if it isn't on the list; I’m re-posting the one from earlier in the post here.  Just be sure to enable the email notifications and put in the correct phone number and email format.  I would recommend checking it by setting off your motion detector and confirming you receive a text message about it.

Carrier

Email to SMS Gateway

Alltel

[10-digit phone number]@message.alltel.com Example: 1234567890@message.alltel.com

AT&T (formerly Cingular)

[10-digit phone number]@txt.att.net [10-digit phone number]@mms.att.net (MMS) [10-digit phone number]@cingularme.com Example: 1234567890@txt.att.net

Boost Mobile

[10-digit phone number]@myboostmobile.com Example: 1234567890@myboostmobile.com

Nextel (now Sprint Nextel)

[10-digit telephone number]@messaging.nextel.com Example: 1234567890@messaging.nextel.com

Sprint PCS (now Sprint Nextel)

[10-digit phone number]@messaging.sprintpcs.com [10-digit phone number]@pm.sprint.com (MMS) Example: 1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com

T-Mobile

[10-digit phone number]@tmomail.net Example: 1234567890@tmomail.net

US Cellular

[10-digit phone number]email.uscc.net (SMS) [10-digit phone number]@mms.uscc.net (MMS) Example: 1234567890@email.uscc.net

Verizon

[10-digit phone number]@vtext.com [10-digit phone number]@vzwpix.com (MMS) Example: 1234567890@vtext.com

Virgin Mobile USA

[10-digit phone number]@vmobl.com Example: 1234567890@vmobl.com

STEP 2

After that is completed, go to your iPhone Contacts.  Create a new contact with any name (a good one would be Arlo Alert, so let’s go with that for this.)  Name the new contact Arlo Alert.  Press the edit button.

In edit mode, create a new email address, and it needs to be exact: alerts@arlo.com

STEP 3

While still in Edit Mode under your new contact called Arlo Alert, select Text Tone.  At the very top of the next screen, Select Emergency Bypass (this allows the bypassing of Do Not Disturb Mode.)

STEP 4

Now go down to where it says Alert Tone.  I would recommend skipping this section because Alert Tones will not wake you up and last about five seconds.  Instead, proceed down to Ringtones (yes, you can use a Ringtone for your texts if you set it up this way.)  Select your Ringtone, which is essentially a 30 second alarm, and there are a lot of options.  I chose “Alarm” from the Classic menu at the bottom, but you can’t really go wrong here.  You are setting up an alert, disguised as a RingTone, in whatever style you want, to let you know that your Arlo has detected something. 

Save your changes so that your new contact, Arlo Alert, is permanently set to Emergency Bypass and is assigned a ringtone alarm.  Go ahead and put your phone on Do Not Disturb.  Go set off your motion detection.  There is a slight delay sometimes (maybe 30 seconds), maybe better if on cellular, as this process takes a little extra time to complete it’s cycle.

Chocodog
Fledgling

Thank you, Daniel0319 - you put a lot of effort into figuring that out.  Unfortunately, cellular carriers have started to deprecate SMTP-to-SMS services, at least here in Canada.  At least one major carrier - mine - dropped it a year ago.  Not making enough profite off of per-text charges on the bottom-end plans, I guess.  Or maybe, taking a more optimistic view, a way to try to limit text-spam by removing the ability for automailers to target their customers...  Yeah, right.

The same thing could be done somewhat with email, but the emergency bypass does not work for email alerts.  Therefore, rather than using DND, one would have to set up a specific email  account just to receive these alerts, manually disable fetching mail for all other email accounts for "DND periods", and then remember to re-enable the other accounts later.  This would also still enable all phone calls and text messges to come through unless you manually disable notifications for those services.  I don't know if emergency bypass would still work for designated contacts for text & phone if you disable the notifications that way.

In other words, it's complicated and Arlo really needs to fix this feature if they are done pretending to be a security company.

Since Arlo support / product engineers apparently don't read this thread, I'll pass on my frustration by opening a support ticket.

daniel0319
Tutor

Sorry to hear about this Chocodog.

The email to text conversion via the provider is the only way I tried.  There are probably ways to do, like you said, but it would be way too complicated and work on a relay system.  It’s already a problematic delay.

I was robbed as well, as the camera gave me a shockingly weak notification to let me know someone was in my driveway at 4:30 AM.  I’m not even sure the workaround is adequate.  I bought a motion detecting floodlight and mounted it right next to the Arlo (on my garage), so at least the burglar may be deterred by seeing the light and camera, though again that is pitiful that Arlo cannot on its own do any better than a dummy camera for deterrence.

Maybe the tech team will advise you leave your phone number mounted on a large sign next to the camera?  The burglar can then text you his info each time he comes by, and you can put him in your contacts with emergency bypass configured?  😐

Mtnman57
Onlooker
I have had this 5 camera Arlo pro 2 system purchased at Costco for 3 years now. The IPhone app in IOS does not offer distinctive alert notification sounds. Alerts sound just like all other notification sounds on the iPhone and their is no way to change to a distinctive alert sound.
I know that many customers “for a few years now” have complained about this issue over and over asking Arlo to change the IOS app to offer different distinctive alert sounds yet we Apple users are repeatedly being ignored.
I personally refuse to buy or add any more Arlo products u til this issue is addressed and an app change is made. As a matter of fact if Arlo does not address this I believe I will sell this product and purchase a different system such as the ring system. I do not want to do this as I like my Arlo product but I’m tired of asking Arlo to address this as I am sure many other customers are as well.
It would also be nice if Arlo put out an app for the Apple Watch.
Arlo get with the program and quit ignoring the Apple community or eventually loose a large customer base.
Katt765
Onlooker

Hi all, please join this Facebook group and share your experiences. Once we have a good range of stories I can push it out further. It is so annoying and frustrating. Let's have a voice! 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/340168146826454/

Nl79
Onlooker
2 years ago we were told that we were going to be able to change the notification sound for the app on an iPhone. And here we are 2 years later and it hasn’t changed. So how much longer do we need to wait?
SandraB
Onlooker

So my last post was removed as it included a link to a Facebook group and that’s not allowed. 

If if you are frustrated with the Arlo system because Arlo will not enable alert notification sounds to be changed on IOS to something more audible that will wake you when you are sleeping, then join a Facebook group called Arlo Smart Home - The Truth. 

Gabe343
Initiate

SandraB, Well this just goes to show they do pay attention to the posts since your last one was removed. Thank you for taking the time to make the group hopefully more people will follow. I think we should copy and repost our comments the best we can to the Facebook page, just as Arlo won’t be able to cover up or hide those posts. I don’t know just a thought.