Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom alert sounds for Android/iOS

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

Comments
kent141
Follower

Follow up.to my post from May 26 2018  I opened a case with Netgear Support on this matter.  After a few suggestions from their team (none of which solved the problem), here is the latest update from them:

"You are right. The alert feature you wanted to have does not require a miracle from God. However, please be reminded that the implementation of this technical feature would rely on how soon can our engineers include it to the future firmware updates. We have already considered your request and forwarded it to them.

To expedite the implementation of the said alert feature, you may login to the Arlo Idea Exchange portal and send a follow-up post about the update for this matter."

Since the Netgear engineers can't seem to fix this on their own, maybe they should collaborate with Apple to resolve the problem.

This still doesn't solve the issue, so I will be looking into a third party app as a work-around until Netgear gets their act together.

daniel0319
Tutor
ToomToom
Initiate

iOS/Android developer here.

Gonna go ahead and call Netgear out on this one...adding this feature does NOT require an Arlo camera firmware update. This is all done on the device side (from within the iOS app). A junior level iOS developer could have this feature implemented and tested within 2 hours.

This should really be low hanging fruit for these guys:) Also (submitting a separte idea for this) iOS 12 now allows certain apps to apply for a special entitlement so that their app's notifications can be registered as "critical" which would allow them to bypass Do Not Disturb mode, and the ringer switcher setting. This would be a great feature!

Arlingtonvelo
Novice
I would like to chose a very loud notification for when my camera detects motion. The notification on my iPhone is not different or loud enough to get my attention over other notifications like text or email. I have set a uniquely loud notification for the email notification that Arlo sends to but I also get emails on that account that are not priority. That’s not working. I need a loud unique and persistent notification for when my camera is armed and motion is detected.
kinneyr2
Tutor
I would like custom alms too.
Maxiehouse
Aspirant

This is the one thing that means I will never recommend Arlo to anyone. Villains use darkness as cover and I sleep when it’s dark and the alert on my iPhone would not wake anyone even from a light sleep!

kushdeck
Onlooker

How is this not implemented yet? I am a mobile dev, there is absolutely no reason this feature should not be added yet. There is no firmware update required, a small app update pushed in the apple store. A unique sound would be my first priority, customizable sounds later. If the app was open source and on github, i would submit requests 🙂 

Msteffani21
Fledgling

I agree with all of you..this should be on the top of netgears list. If an alert doesn’t catch your attention,what good is the system? I spent a lot of money on this system and gotta say I won’t be purchasing additional products unless they fix this. 

DivDav
Onlooker

Please at least post in this thread to let all you customers know why you can't/won't fix what seems like a pretty simple request. Thank you....

Ambrroo
Novice

I have read through this thread so my apologies if this is a duplicate response....After being thoroughly dissapointed by the lack of sound choice on notifications I figured out this solution....it didn't take long to set up and so far it works...On my iphone I added @Arlo.com to my VIP email contacts then I set up my push email notifications to only allow notifications from my VIP mail contacts (which in my case only includes @Arlo.com) and voila! Now I use an alarm sound and get notified when motion is detected via my camera...not the perfect solution but it works. I hope I've explained myself...not super tech savvy