Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom alert sounds for Android/iOS

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

Comments
asmadking
Initiate

JamesC, I am looking for features that will truly make the Arlo Pro system useable as a security tool. It's all in the original poster's initial comment.  For example, the only alerts I can use for Arlo are the ones built into my version of Android. Whatever alert sound I choose, that's the alert sound I get for everything related to Arlo. So if I'm home and someone is approaching my front door, I get a single, mild little tone. If I'm asleep and someone is breaking in my back door, I get a single, mild little tone. It doesn't sound more than once. I can't choose a more alarming type of sound for certain modes. I don't have to dismiss it, so as the OP stated, if I'm in a noisy room, I could totally miss the fact that someone is breaking in my house. If I set Arlo to "armed" I need more than just a little note and/or email. What you have is not sufficient. Alert options are not sufficient. During the day when I'm upstairs, I might want a little tone to let me know someone is in my front yard. But when I'm asleep at night, I need something more like an alarm on my phone - without having to resort to the eardrum-popping unit base alarm that will scare my children to death. 

asmadking
Initiate

So JamesC, none of the features the original poster commented on have been resolved for Android - and apparently not for iOS either.

I made my own post about this exact problem probably five months ago, and received no response from Netgear. The lack of functionality in the app turns a really expensive camera system into a novelty that's not good for much.

sn0wballz
Star

@asmadkingcount your lucky stars that you can at least change the sound. iOS currently uses the default sound - same sound used for other apps.

MarkC
Luminary
Is this not a limitation of iOS though? Apple lock pretty much everything down and I cannot remember any other apps that have their own notification sounds etc.
sn0wballz
Star

I think you are right, @MarkC. Even the twitter app doesn't allow you to change the notification sound. I believe it is either a difficult change or perhaps impossible programatically unless iOS changes something on it's end.

MarkC
Luminary
I use both Android and iOS, well I barely pick up my iPhone these days as lack of jailbreaking has left it pretty much useless (for my needs and requirements). Back in the day we could, with a jailbreak, have notifications read out etc. on our iPhones, something that is run of the mill these days on android, still maybe one day they may let users have a little more freedom and be able to personalize their phones a little more. We can but live in hope! 🙂
Willrite
Novice

Hey Netgear, 

update your iOS app so that users can change their push notifications. I also have a Ring device at my front door and they have this ability built into their app. And now they offer security cameras that seem comparable, or superior to Arlo. I clearly should have gone with Ring. Fix your stuff or I will continue to warn people away from your product because of this one simple issue. Thanks for your time. 

Rrocket
Aspirant

Just “Chiming” in on this subject.

As a New purchaser of Arlo Pro 2 4Cam system, I am just amazed at this technology. 

However NOT to be able to change Alert sounds, (ios) to like maybe something that would WAKE you during Deep sleep,

Well its disappointing, Very.

LUV everything else, keep up the good work !!!!

BUT PLZ address this issue soon !!!

Lo3an
Guide

I am disappointed with Arlo Pro.  Im using an Iphone 7. The notification sound is very low (i cant change the volume higher or change sound).  This is useless for me.  If possible,  please recommend another product that is:

- similar setup as Arlo

- does what Arlo does

- ability to change the notification sound

thanks

Wilbs
Fledgling

Absolutely. I strongly agree that there needs to be a selection of alert sounds for iOS (or at least one alternative). I sleep with my phone beside my bed and it’s impossible to distinguish a home Arlo alert from some other random app (e.g. a news feed notification etc) without having to sit up and look at your phone. Very frustrating!

My kids have downloaded various games that send alert notifications to their iPhones, that make all kinds of sounds. For what is already a great app I’m surprised the Dev team at Arlo can’t conquer this little hurdle.