Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom alert sounds for Android/iOS

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

Comments
T-Man
Follower

I've just gone through this one myself, to my great frustration.

It turns out that -- at least for us iPhone users -- Arlo/Netgear really can't do anything about it (except bug apple to do something!).

As ridiculous as this seems to me, the "notification sound" on IOS devices is set by default to a tiny "tink" sound that is barely audible even under optimal conditions -- and it cannot be customized for particualr apps (or even easily changed globally!).

Nor (as far as I can tell) can we "customize" the notification to include a strobe light effect or specfic vibratory pattern.

MAJOR limitation IMHO, as it woud be SO helpful to know what a notification MEANS when out and about an unable to conveniently look at our phones.

If anybody's got a fix or work-around for this, please let us know!

Rodwill
Novice

It would be good in the Arlo app settings (within Apple IOS settings) to change the Notification sound to a different sound. This will be useful to identify Arlo alerts from less important alerts (esp social media alerts , etc).

This woudl be a small chnage within the app.

Thanks

Sarmbrister
Onlooker

Yes most definitely agree this is needed. I want this for night time sleeping use on some cameras also and my standard tone for everything else just doesn't cut it. Should be able to customize esp for a security related system

Retired_Member
Not applicable

In regard to the Arlo alert sound, as a new user it is disappointing to find that the push alert is inadequate for a home security system, at least for iPhone users.  It is also disappointing that Netgear don't appear to have made a definitive statement regarding an issue that has been on the forum for 19 months. If it is not resolvable then they should inform potential iPhone customers through their marketing material and via retail outlets.

BrianGGGG
Follower

Can't tell the difference between a home invasion and a spam email.  This would be a great addition and I have to believe it's not hard to do.

xjxj
Novice

Are you KIDDING ME?! This camera system isnt worth a DAMN if it wont wake me up at night. CUSTOM ALERTS, Come on Netgear! I need this now! Did i just waste my money on this system..?

Unbelievable 

Sarmbrister
Onlooker

I agree wholeheartedly. This is honestly so far my only complaint with the system. I love everything else about it. I prefer to turn my personal phone volume off when sleeping to avoid spam emails, texts etc but the alarm feature for the clock still works. Surely netgear can come up with something in programming that would be a different alert for the cameras and would also activate a sound even if the phones general voume is set to silent. we get amber alerts like this, our alarm clock works like this, come on Netgear, lets make this work. I do not want to have to install the app on my work assigned phone (which has to stay on 24/7) as having my personal stuff on there could create a problem at my job.However for the current moment that is the only fix I see and it still doesn't resolve the alert sounding different from other stuff that hits the phone. I still would not know if the cameras were activated or if I just received an email or text. Grrr! 

T-Man
Follower

Well, I must say I'm glad I stirred this one up again -- it is strangely reassuring to hear others as perturbed by this limitation as I am.

In all fairness to NetGear, it seems to me this problem is also highlighting an absurd limitation of the iPhone operating system.

However it needs to be addressed, however, this feature feels critical to a system that is supposed to "alert" us under certain circumstances.

I'm no programmer, but I HAVE to think there is some way to work around this limitation -- or to work with apple to create the possibility for assignable "alert" sounds by application from their end.

KA-
Novice
Novice
I love the product overall, but I agree with everyone else here that adding a custom notification sound should be a high priority enhancement. The current implementation suffers from two issues: - the notification sound does not allow to distinguish between different cameras; - the notification sound is too short and too quiet to wake up the owner at night in case of intrusion. Why don't you add a piece of hardware with alert/siren function? That would allow you for additional income from such feature.
greggr
Aspirant
Well, if they haven't heard what we've said by now and implemented a customoizable notification tone into the app, they aren't going to. They have, however, integrated with Smart Things and you can link your camera operation to them. Through the Smart Things app you can set a customized notification when your cameras sense motion. It is not the most ideal set up and you must purchase a Smart Things hub if you don't already have one, but it gets the job done until, if ever, Netgear allows us to set the notification through their app.