Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Continue Recording while while watching live feed

Hi There,

I would like if the camera continued to record motion at the same time while watching the live feed without me having to manually hit the record button.

There has been times when i was watching a live feed, my infant was doing something cute and i wanted it recorded.  BUT, when i went into my recorings there was nothign there for the moment i wanted to capture.

Jeremy

Comments
Hone
Fledgling

+1 here too.    "watching a live feed and then someone walks in front of the camera & it does not start recording."  

NETGEAR/ARLO  H-E-L-L-O! is anyone listening and addressing this ??   The result of this bug is not what I paid for, e.g., Negligence

failure to take proper care in doing something.

Law: failure to use reasonable care, resulting in damage or injury to another.

OMG such an oversite, this is negligence and misleading to say the least, we might have a class action here.  So if I or any other valid user/account is watching live, then the motion detection video recording is null and void?   WOW this is a quite a shock. I'm slow to being privy to this and still wrapping my head around the impact and repercussions, this is a flaw and a bonafide BUG!  it explains why I have gaps in capturing video resulting in damages.

I have two deployments – one at my house and one at a rental property. So since there are other accounts on the system (read only no audio, etc with a business need to know) a 'user' can effectively and even uknowingly DOS (denial of service) the surveillance system - resulting in the product not not producing the intended outcome. HMMM yup thinking class action is in order here folks.  

C'mon Netgear - do the right thing, throw us a bone here already and make this bug go away or at least explain your plan of action to rectify. 

huskypup452
Follower

I echo everything in this thread. I have a newborn who has had some breathing issues that are not captured while watching live. We want to be able to show our doctor, but it’s hard to quickly push record while watching it live as my instinct is to help my newborn and hope the camera captured it, which of course it doesn’t. I wish I could return the camera, but it’s too late. This is so frustrating and I can’t believe Arlo hasn’t done anything about this yet. 

DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Future Consideration

DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Future Consideration

chawks
Guide

Ha!

I write a post that includes among other things text supporting Hone's statement about the potential for legal action (because it's true) and suddenly my post disappears and goes from actually being posted and visible to "Your post will be visible once it is approved."!  My guess is this one will be censored as well.

Wow. That speaks volumes.

Just saying.

Civrock
Initiate

Hello,

I recently purchased a couple Arlo Pro 2 cameras and have been having issues with the different modes since. It would intermittently not record motion, even though the app would show that motion was detected, on any of my cameras, regardless of mode and settings used. Spoke to chat support twice, phone support once (for quite a while), without getting a resolution. Then I realized the issue described in this thread could be what's causing it...

I setup a secondary user account to be able to view my live feeds on my iPad in my office, while still being able to login on my iPhone separately (since for some reason concurrent logins on multiple devices aren't possible, it logs you out, but that's a different issue...).
On my previous camera system, I used to just connect to the local IP and leave it running. That system, IRIS, was able to continue recording while viewing the live feed(s). It's rather disappointing that what appears to be a far more advanced system, Arlo, does not have this simple capability (both local IP feed access as well as recording while live feed is being watched on any account).

If I was watching from my primary account, maybe you could make the argument that I'm currently watching and don't need it to record... but when a secondary account is watching a live feed of one of my cameras, it makes no sense to prevent recording from taking place.

I'm glad to see this was marked for "Future Consideration" in January of this year, however it simply cannot come soon enough (along with various other things, most with high vote counts on here). As a recent convert from IRIS due to its upcoming shutdown, I really want to like this system.

Thanks.

chenet72
Fledgling

Yesterday, while I watched a conversation take place live on my front porch, I was unaware that the camera had STOPPED recording the situation. It was unknown to me that if I received an alert and pulled that camera up to view live that recordings would stop and I would have to manually record the situation. This causes a HUGE security gap. If a user receives a alert of course they are going to pull up the camera to learn more about what set it off, so why ARLO would immediately stop recording the situation is the absolute dumbest thing in the world.

I now understand from customer suppoty that the cameras stops recording or detecting motion during live streaming is because they are designed as "motion detect then record" however, this scenerio was not clear to me when I purchased or installed the system. I am now missing evidence that could have been used in court.

This is not an "inconvenience" this is a huge security gap that has left me vulernable and looking for a new system. 

sweetchuck30
Novice

Has this issue been resolved?

sweetchuck30
Novice

I just purchased mine today & if this is the case I might as well return it now because that’s just plain stupid 

Civrock
Initiate

No, it has not been resolved yet and I can't seem to get the support team to even acknowledge this major limitation. I wonder how many issues reported on here (related to camera motion detection/recording, etc) are actually caused by this software constraint rather than actual hardware defects...