Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Continue Recording while while watching live feed

Hi There,

I would like if the camera continued to record motion at the same time while watching the live feed without me having to manually hit the record button.

There has been times when i was watching a live feed, my infant was doing something cute and i wanted it recorded.  BUT, when i went into my recorings there was nothign there for the moment i wanted to capture.

Jeremy

Comments
DanTran99
Star

I use the Skybell for my home and everything is recorded whether it was motion detected, button press, live view, or even doorbell answered. 

With recording being interrupted, it defeats the whole “security first” concept of security devices...

JJS68
Luminary

be nice if you could only allow other users to view history, so they can't live view if that breaks the security of the system

Daemian
Fledgling

I totally agree that once recording has been triggered it shouldn’t be stopped once live view is started. Is anyone from NETGEAR working on this?

KurtICT
Aspirant

I concur.  I can understand that if I am in live view maybe I would choose to record or not, but if I get an alert that a recording has started due to motion detection, that should continue even if I log in live to interact with the person on audio.

KernyAU
Fledgling

"Whenever live stream is initiated, the recording will be interrupted."

I believe this is a design flaw. I can't think of any scenario where this would be the desired behaviour. The current mode rules should continue to operate regardless of live view.

"If you wish to resume recording once a live stream is initiated, this can be done by manually clicking//tapping the record icon."

Having a button on the live-stream to override the rules is a good feature, but the default should be for the rules to continue to operate regardless of live view.

Here are some use cases where the current behaviour is problematic:

1. When an alert is received, we respond to the notification and use live view to see what is happening. The act of doing so interrupts the recording of some critical event occuring at that moment. It may take several seconds to manually press the record button, and precious time is lost.

2. When watching the live view, and something important starts to happen, basic human reaction time + the time it takes to notice and interpret the scene as something important to record means that precious seconds will be lost before we press the manual record button.

3. It is too easy to "forget" to manually press the button. The basic expecation is that the camera will record motion events. It is counterintuitive for an event not to be recorded.

4. If live view is "kept open" on a secondary screen like a traditional CCTV monitor which you can glance at occasionally. Currently, we would either have to choose to constantly record (too excesssive), or risk losing any record of a critical event if you are not looking at the live view screen at the time of the event (too risky).

Higi
Aspirant

Yes I totally agree KernyAU.

Very strange decision if that feature is by design.

At least please add an option to change to always record mode.

KurtICT
Aspirant

I had an interesting experience.  Last week, I got an alert my motion detection had movemednt on the front porch.  I logged in, and went to live mode.  Later, I looked in my library for that phone, and the recording had continued automatically!  Did they add that feature?

irus99
Tutor

It seems to continue recording if motion triggers the recording, however if you are watching a live feed and then someone walks in front of the camera it does not start recording. I would love to have motion triggers recording as an option while watching the live feed.

IrishRover
Aspirant

I think this is a great feature that needs to be fixed!

irus99
Tutor

Yeah I agree, my current solution is that I simply left my old security cameras in place and use those to watch live feeds and use the arlo for cloud recording and notification of movement. Lol