Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom alert sounds for Android/iOS

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

Comments
Katt765
Onlooker

As Tregeo suggested I set up an email account purely for me Arlo email alerts to go to. I downloaded a loud car alarm sound from iTunes and attached it to the email account notifications so that the pointless alert on my mobile is followed a few seconds later by the alarm sound once the email arrives.

Seem to work for me although It’s a pain that all of the arlo alert emails get mixed up with my other email accounts under my all-inboxes function. 

Think that’s fixed it sufficiently for me. 

SandraB
Onlooker

Ok I’ve had enough! The workarounds don’t appear to work, I’ve tried but I am happy to be corrected. In fact I’d be DELIGHTED to be corrected.

Here is a dedicated Facebook page, please can you add your comments and views then I’ll share with NetGear and ramp it up on social media. We can do this!!

if anyone with graphic skills can make up a cool image for the page header that would be fab. 

tregeo
Onlooker

Hi Sandra, I am sorry I have been busy. I will have a go at your facebook page, but just for now and for the purpose of folk on this forum, let me have another go at explaining.

1/ The first step is set up a new email account which you won't use for anything else other than Arlo notifications - say sandraBarlo@gmail.com for example.

2/ Delete your original email out of your Arlo account and replace it with the new one. This will mean your Arlo notifications will now come to the new email address. You will need to be sure that whatever mobiles you use have the email changed too... not just the online account.

3/ If you are using Outlook (as I did), you can go into the Outlook mobile settings and choose between several notification sounds. Not hard to find one which is altogether different from the ones you use for everything else.  (Someone has suggested downloading a 'horn' sound and adding it to the app. I have not looked into this yet, but if you can do this on an Apple product, then it will be a better option. The ultimate sound is one which will wake you up in the middle of the night.)

After this, you should be in business...  

If you are having trouble with any of this, let us know specifically which step you can't handle and we might be able to provide more details. Bear in mind, I am only a newbie... but this is working for me.

By the way, if you intend to be active on this forum, you might have to 'untick' the box at the bottom of the Comment block. Otherwise you will be getting that same 'alarm' noise whenever someone posts on a thread you have been contributing to. It would be too much to ask Arlo to allow two different email addresses on our profile, wouldn't it!!

J1417N
Novice
I ha.ve an iphone, how do i change the alert tone ? When i receive a motion alert i get a weak tone for my message, how do i change the tone for Arlo alerts ??
PVV1
Follower

Yes this blows.  My alert / notification being the same as others on my phone makes it hard to know it is an Arlo alert.  HUGE problem. 

Gabe343
Initiate

Definitely agree, need to be able to change notification sounds for iOS. I can’t ignore my phone for anything as I am constantly looking to make sure it’s not the Arlo system. Pleeeeeeeease push out a new update for iOS!!!!

vinella
Guide

PLEASE YES for unique sound notifications for each camera.

mdh42
Aspirant

I have tried most of the work arounds and am not satisfied with any of them. Either they just don't work or the delayed alert is too long. We need to have this added to the app so we can get a proper alert. I know the iphone has some limitations, but this is being done with other apps on the apple platform. In reality, it is just ones and zeros and any competent programmer should be able to make this work. 

mdh42
Aspirant

Just got off the phone with Arlo support. Guesses and reading from a script. Tech support is useless.

litbro
Guide

Need distictive sounds for security notifications.  We spent almost $1000 on this system and the notifiction system is almost useless.  Please fix ASAP.