Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Solar panel power for cameras

It would be great to be able to attach solar panels to the cameras for more perment installs to charge the batterys.
Comments
chrlybrown
Novice

This is just common sense and with all the technology we have at our disposal, it should not be an issue to make it happen!

MBISHS
Guide

There is another parallel posts that discusses customer desires for external power (below).  I suggest that we put all requests related to this topic on one post so that we can aggregate all of the Kudos for the developers.

"Arlo cameras that use a power adapter instead of batteries"

ronnedith
Fledgling

Wouldn't that be easy to develop? The only thing we need to do is to find out the power consumption of the camera, drill a little hole on the camera (where the batteries go), channel the two cables (Positive and negative) and connect it to a solar panel! 

This idea could also work for having your camera always connected to an outlet. 🙂 

We just need to engineer the correct power consumption and bam! we are done. 

What do you guys think?

TazHawaii
Initiate

Aloha Everyone

Due to Federal shipping regulations, finding a reliable supply of replacement CR123A batteries in Hawaii has become an issue. Is there an alternative battery that can be used other than a Lithium solution, even if it has a lower life cycle charge?

JamesC
Community Manager

TazHawaii,

NETGEAR does not officially advise the use of any batteries other than what is described in the following article: Remember these golden rules for your Arlo camera batteries

With that being said, there are many threads with discussions surrounding batteries such as: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Rechargeable-batteries-for-use-with-Arlo-camera...

I hope this helps!

JamesC

TazHawaii
Initiate

Sorry JC, no go....These rechargeables still have the Lithium component. I need a solution that does not include Lithium type batteries. If what you're saying is true, then in about 6 months I'll have a $700.00 security system that will be of absolutely no use to me due to the lack of available power source.

Nice......

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: New Ideas

JamesC
Community Manager

Great Idea! Thanks for sharing!

RocketAngel
Aspirant

Really like this one!!!

tpd866
Fledgling

Ive been going through batteries pretty quickly on my two ARLO camera outside. I would love to see a solor panel upgrade for the cameras.