Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera Buffer and recording with no internet connection

I have been using Arlo for over a month and I the primary reazon I purchased them is for the fexibility of instaling the cameras with no wires. in this respect they work great.

I replaced a Samsung Smart Cam with the Arlo system, and unfortunately the Samsung is far superior in image quality, motion detection and recording. So here is what I would suggest would make Arlo much better in my optinion.

Camera buffer for recording motion

If the cameras had a buffer that was able to include 5 seconds of recording BEFORE motion was detetcted that would solve many of the issues that users mention in the forums about motion being recorded too late.

Local recording with no internet connection.

My internet was down for most of last night due to a storm, and within that time there was no activity recorded by the cameras.

I realize that part of the business model is to sell subscriptions for storage but how about allowing local storage of videos for 1 day in cases like this.

Comments
JamesC
Community Manager

Carlosmp,

Due to the cameras being battery operated a buffer exactly as you describe isn't possible because it would require the cameras to always be streaming. This would cause significant battery drain.

Local storage backup is an option on the Arlo Pro base station, take a look here for more information: How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo Pro base station?

JamesC

_nd345
Initiate

+1  A buffer IS absolutely possible if the cameras had small local flash storage.  This is done by other vendor's products; however these are usually enterprise grade cameras (e.g. Axis).  I also concur that internet outage should never decomission the system. We recently had 2 days of internet outage and even with a local USB drive, I have no idea if it recorded anything.  (I see no interface to access the local USB drive).

Carlosmp
Star

I always assumed that the cameras already had some type of internal memmory / storage, so I thought a portion of that could be used for the buffer.

I do have a USB device plugged into the base station, but I did not realize that the only way to view those videos was to unplug the USB and connect it directly to a compuer. It would be great if we coud see the videos directly in the Arlo App. Perhaps a separate tab that shows the contents of the USB storage?