Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Be able to use Google Home/Alexa as a chime/alarm/siren

When the doorbell is rung there should be an option to use a google home or all of them at someones house to ring either like a doorbell or like the notiifcation that you get on the phone. 

Comments
pbarham
Star

@myregistration wrote:

Since since most of us have either Google Home or Alexa devices these days we shouldn't have to purchase additional Chimes since we already have speakers that can play  chime sounds for us.

Normally I would 100% agree... but I am increasingly nervous about the number of different pieces of hardware and software that need to be working, reachable over the network, and configured correctly just so that pressing a simple button causes a bell to go 'ding'.   

This functionality used to rely on two pieces of copper wire and a 24V transformer .... now I dread to think of all the things that might go wrong! 😉

It would really help me to have more faith in this system if somebody from Arlo documented exactly what sequence of actions happen between pressing the doorbell and an Amazon Echo playing an announcement. 

e.g. Does the base station chat to Amazon's Alexa service API?  Or does the base station send a message to Arlo's cloud service and that chats to Amazon and then Amazon eventually wakes up my Echo and causes it to make a sound?  Is my phone involved?  (e.g .the Alexa app with it's 'Arlo Skill',  ... or even the Arlo app?) 

I would be amazed if the doorbell talked directly to the Echo.... but perhaps there's some standard IoT protocol that means the base station and Echo can find each other when on the same network.  

(Note: the Arlo base station itself has a *wired* network connection, and makes its own private wireless network with the SSID NETGEAR32 or similar.  It apparently tries to use the same wifi channel as the strongest WiFi base station in its vicinity, assuming it's yours!).

So, I'd like to be able to work out what happens when my wifi access point is down? What happens if my cable modem is down? Can the doorbell still ring?  Does Arlo need to know the password for my Amazon account, or does Amazon need to be able to access my Arlo account?  What happens if I change either of these passwords?

danrob
Tutor

Please- would love this feature!

Thetnduke
Aspirant
Another Vote for this
MonkeyMagik
Aspirant
another vote for this feature
ChadSmith
Star

I would definitely consider this product if it chimed through Google Home.

navandpav
Novice

i would buy the arlo doorbell right now if this feature were available.

also it would be great if the arlo door bell / camera could be cast to the google hub when the button is pushed on the door bell

Thyg0d
Apprentice

Yeah this is a must before purchase, I'm not an Alexa fan and I've got both GH and Sonos at home which can do the job instead of buying more hardware

mna1966
Fledgling

Arlo Audio Doorbell

Consider this another vote for the feature of a Google Home being able to be a chime.
Otherwise, I will have to add $50 to the price of the doorbell which happens to be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks,
Matt.

sgibbers17
Apprentice

I would also like to see google home be used as chimes.  I would like to see the camera cast to the google home hub when the doorbell is pushed even more.

I would go out to day and buy one if it displayed the camera on the google home hub when the doorbell is pushed.

myregistration
Fledgling
I returned the Arlo Doorbell and got a Nest Doorbell. Works great. My google mini and home speakers all tell me when someone has rung the Nest Doorbell and the hub automatically streams a video of person at door. I wish the Nest Doorbell was cheaper, but I saved lots of money not having to buy Arlo chimes since I already had multiple mini, hub, and home speakers. I prefer Google over Alexa.