Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Automatic License Plate Reader

We would like to be able use OPENALPR with selected Arlo Cameras.  We have a facility we would like to be able to monitor and alert us on unregistered license plates pulling into facility.  Maybe add this to your subscription service and be able to charge per camera using it. 

Comments
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

Dan84
Novice

*Feature Request -
With nailing hard wired solar energy with high capacity Local storage, when will Arlo begin adding LPR technology. So tired of hearing how we all can’t make a license plate even when within a sneezing distance with 4K technology. Even basic HDR manipulation; frame-by-frame editing mode?

Dan84
Novice

Even if LPR itself isn't incorporated, maybe advance the existing "Zoom-Follow" feature that hones in with a rapid shutter in HDR.  This might be the ticket for users to review each frame in higher resolution.

Dan84
Novice

****** As for priority, I along with *ALL USERS*  spending >$500 packages on 2K/4K outdoor cameras expected this capability as the #1 reason to spend the money.  Accomplish this, you'll see that $$ revenue (same users) double over itself again.

TomMac
Guru

You are prob better served if you post requests here;

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange

They do read them and the more likes on a post the more chance of fruition.

Are there legal issues around number plate recognition?

There may be places where the law doesn't like the idea. But that does not stop it from being a local service, like 911.

TomMac
Guru

Are there legal issues around number plate recognition?

From my experience, I would label it IF in public there is no expectation of privacy... ( NY here )

Of course , not on private property ( unless you own it ) or restricted areas .

I see no issues with it if on my property or if in roadway in front of home.

Really a mute point unless the compression is lowered... 🙂

twiz1234
Fledgling

My neighborhood has been researching cameras systems with LPR.  The issues we run ito are wiring, internet, and of course a system that is capable of LPR.  Arlo makes it through nearly every hurdle, except LPR.  In fact we hear from users that not only does Arlo have no LPR software that they struggle to even capture license plates in the video to begin with.  We would be buying dozens of Arlo cameras if you ever came out with a license plate reader camera, or better still a hybrid camera with license plate reader (so two lenses one for video and one for license plates) so we don't have to have two Arlo cams next to each other.  If you were to also make that new camera compatible with OpenLPR so the various vendors who support OpenLPR could be plugged into it all the better...but a dedicated LPR sensor as a separate or hybrid camera would be enough to get my neighborhood interested.  

twiz1234
Fledgling

From my experience you can't successfully use a video camera lense setup for a dual role of license plate capture.  I would think it would be much easier for Arlo to sell a lens cover to filter out the light for successful LPR.  Of course that means it would no longer be capable of good video capture of non-license plates.  So I would think they need to either build a purpose built LPR Arlo cam, or better still build a hybrid Arlo cam that has two lenses, one for video and one for LPR.  This is generally how LPR setups work and why you often see two cameras setup next to each other at intersections, one to see the make, model and possibly driver of the car and the other to grab the license plate.  If they ever did this, making the cameras compatible with OpenLPR standards would be even better...but hybrid LPR camera would be a huge leap forward and my neighborhood would be buying them by the dozen.  

Follower

rekorsystems