Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Audible WARNING Message on Camera Speaker When Motion is Detected

We are using the Arlo Pro system to protect and monitor an unoccupied house on a large piece of property with several outdoor storage buildings. Its siren only runs on the base station inside the house, but is not able to be heard outside at any of the entry points to the premises. We are also 2 hours away from the property, so responding to a serious alert takes time. Obviously we have taken all the other steps possible to secure the premises, but that does not necessarily protect it, especially if nobody is there. Since there are so many cheap fake security cameras on the market, I don’t think that the mere presence of signs or cameras is a sufficient deterrent. The idea of a security system is not to notify you that you have been victimized, but rather to prevent it from occurring in the first place. An audible warning coming from the cameras themselves would provide such a deterrent. Your Pro model cameras already have 2-way audio capability, which allows the system owner to announce something through the camera speakers but only when they are actively monitoring the system, and then only by using whatever microphone is provided by their computer. The system does NOT have the ability to “automatically” deliver a pre-recorded warning announcement through the cameras the instant that they detect motion. This feature would let intruders know that someone is really watching, which would make the system much more effective. We wish we could automatically play a user created MP3 format message such as "Warning video property surveillance recording has been activated and security personnel have been notified" through the camera speakers as soon as they are triggered. It seems that such a feature could easily be enabled by writing a downloadable firmware update that either adds such a recording playback feature to the base station, or by giving the base station permission to access a media player on the system owner’s computer instead of the PC's microphone.

Comments
Quarius7
Onlooker

Great Idea

Ekord014
Novice

Would it be possible to have an alarm feature like a normal security system? The text messages don't wake me up in the middle of the night if someone comes into my house. This would be very helpful!

Thank you,

Eric

Shangri-La
Novice

I just installed my Arlo essential and am playing with the settings. I see that once motion is detected, there are a couple of action options: record video/activate siren/Push notification/email alert.

These options are nice and all, but I would really love to see an option of playing an audio, something like "Thanks for stopping by. This property is protected by video surveillance 24/7. Have a nice day".

For me, the number one reason of installing security is to PREVENT accident from happening as much as possible, for example package theft prevention. And letting the stranger know that he's being monitored is a great way. I can get all the notification/emails I want once motion is detected, but if the visitor is not notified then it helps little.

Activate siren kinda does that, but it's a bit extreme and I would only set it up on the backyard camera during night time.

Shangri-La
Novice

I posted this in the Arlo Essential sub-forum but maybe this is best posted here. I just installed my Arlo essential and am playing with the settings. I see that once motion is detected, there are a couple of action options: record video/activate siren/Push notification/email alert.

These options are nice and all, but I would really love to see an option of playing an audio, something like "Thanks for stopping by. This property is protected by video surveillance 24/7. Have a nice day".

For me, the number one reason of installing security is to PREVENT accident from happening as much as possible, for example package theft prevention. And letting the stranger know that he's being monitored is a great way. I can get all the notification/emails I want once motion is detected, but if the visitor is not notified then it helps little.

Activate siren kinda does that, but it's a bit extreme and I would only set it up on the backyard camera during night time.

Quarius7
Onlooker
When Arlo cameras detect motion, they should be also able to chime.

They should be able to make a sound so that the person inside of the house will know someone is lurking around.

Having your phone do notifications is great. But sometimes your phone is not around or your phone's battery might be dead so you don't always get to hear your notifications. Plus they're not loud enough.

Having your cameras be able to create a chime sound inside of the house like a doorbell would be perfect.

Also for bonus feature: it would be great if the chime would tell you which camera detected the motion. Because if all cameras are connected to one chime you need to know which camera has detected motion.
Quarius7
Onlooker
  • Great