Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo solar panel longer charging cable

The USB charging cable for the upcoming Arlo solar panel is 6 ft. However, in order to position the solar panel correctly for a few of my outdoor cameras that will be under eaves or awnings, it would be great if the USB charging cable was available in a 12 ft length. Please make this available as part of the ordering process.

Comments
Ahzoov
Tutor

Great idea. They tell us they don't have plans to make longer cables, and I see so many asking for them. I live in the woods and I'd need a 20' cable to use the solar panel (which came with documentation saying "do not put in direct sunlight). 

Question: Can you keep the Arlo Go plugged into a charger 24/7/365? 

If so, I'm getting a longer cable and selling the damn panel. 

paloeser
Fledgling

I was going to buy more outside cameras but without longer cables to use with the solar charger to make them work, I lost interest.  Now I'm looking for a different system.  A shame, a ten foot extension would be a great feature to get down to porch cameras, etc.  Now I am forced to abandon the Arlo system and find a better system.

Vito10
Onlooker

It would be very helpful if Arlo would offer an extension for the power cord that comes with the solar panel and for that matter, an extension for the Outdoor Power Adapter they offer for the Pro 2 series. You would think that they would respond to the numerous comments on the inadequate length of the power cords for these two applications. So disappointing. 

Vito10
Onlooker

It’s unfortunate that they seem to be abandoning their loyal Pro 2 customers. I believe the cable on the solar panel for the Pro 3 is 8’ long (2’ longer) and the outdoor power cable for the Pro 3 is 21’ (12’ longer).  If they can do that for the Arlo 3 then they can do it for the Arlo 2.  Maybe they just don’t care. 

bernsteinr
Aspirant

I got 2 of the Arlo solar panels when they were first available.  was never able to get them to work.

one of my Arlos died, and I ended up trying other cameras.

I have a Ring spot light cam hooked to the Ring solar panel.  this charges to 100% everyday and im fairly happy with it.  

I tried the Blink system.  they are... not as good.   I got a second hand solar panel (from China) for one of the Blinks, and it surprisingly works well.   (you have to use LiION AAs for the Blinks... seems bad for the environment.... ).  

im still using the remaining ArloPro that I have with 3 diff batteries that I still swap.... if you were going to try a new system, id recommend the Ring with the solar panel.   

if anyone wants my first gen Arlo solar panels, if you pay for shipping, theyre yours FOC.     

Jimbo_in_VT
Observer

Ah, good to know. I’m going to attempt to return the panel I purchased and does not work. It says charging but camera dies in 3 days. I hope it didn’t fry my battery by overcharging it. I ended up getting waterproof power adapters that come in white ( yes! White because black stands out like a sore thumb. I can tell something is connected to the fat ugly black cable that Arlo makes, all the way from the road) and lengths up to 26’. I did waste my money an an Arlo power adapter. It’s- you guessed it- black and only 8 feet long. I am fully unimpressed with the Arlo system in general. Unfortunately, nobody reads this until after they have purchased the camera system. 

jsibayan
Guide

I've read through all of these comments in the Thread and I seem I can't find a source to either purchase or have a replacement of the charging cables. I have contacted Arlo Support, via chat and I was informed that the company will not replace them due to the fact it was out of warranty. Well, I have several solar panels, one of which the charging cable was replaced by Arlo a year ago. I believe that these charging cables for the solar panels are defective in all of the solar panels. I do believe that Arlo is aware of these defects and not a owning up to it. This company is so very quick to provide you with the purchase of the items but when you have an issue with one, they try their hardest not to fulfill there obligations as a company to fix the problem. They got their money! 

rambubbles
Novice

This definitely needs to happen. We have to span a carport for our one camera. They need to make it at least 25 like their other charging cord.

Dahca
Guide

Hello, I bought the solar panels to keep my cameras charged.

The only problem I have right now is there is no sunlight on my back porch in the morning.

Even as the sun is coming up, there is not enough light to allow a charge to take place.

By the time the sun is high enough in the sky, all light is off my porch roof.

Due to this, the camera I have out back will never charge up.

Some may say that it will still charge off what little light is out there, but this is not true.

I am constantly having to bring that camera in to charge it off the power in the house and put it back outside.

The power cable that is attached to the solar panel is not long enough to reach the main roof where it can get sunlight.

It would be really nice if these solar panels' power cord was much longer, maybe 50 feet.

Sounds too long but given the house is 30 foot tall and the cord would need to travel about 10 foot along the porch roof before going up another 15 foot to the main roof, then out onto the main roof where Id like to put it.

Marktren
Novice

My idea is a longer cable for the solar panel.  I have 3 cameras attached to trees, but now that the leaves are growing back I need to move the panel further away.  If a longer cord would provide too much electrical resistance, maybe a bigger solar panel would help.  It’s difficult to look back at our building without using a tree.

Thanks,