Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Smart Person/Animal/Vehicle Detection for SmartThings, IFTTT, Google Assistant, Alexa, etc.

One of the purposes of the Arlo Smart person detection is to filter out unwanted motion from trees and shadows to elimate many uwanted notifications.  This feature has worked well for me, but is missing the integration with my SmartThings hub and IFTTT.  I would like the same notification rules to follow through to my home automation products.  Right now I get only the person detection notifications I want, but any motion triggers events for home automation.  Please let me know how to integrate the new Arlo Smart features with your home automation partners.  As this is a premium/paid service, I hope this option will be available soon.

Comments
Bluelines
Onlooker

I am interested in this feature too. IFTTT integration is pretty much useless without the smart notifications. The cat moving is lightning up the whole house right now 🙂 That should only happen when a person is detected.

mrsisu
Tutor

Any news?

halxp
Onlooker

I've cancelled my Arlo Smart subscription 2 months ago as it's useless. Sad. Everything else is automated in my house except my "smart" cameras.  

robd15
Novice

Hi, I would also like to see these features added so I can turn lights on at night if a 'person' (not animal or general motion) was detected. Agree at present there is no value in the smart notifications as at night the phone is silent and so notifications will not be received hence the IFTTT integration to turn on hue lights. At the moment animals set this recipe off continually...

mbt2001
Aspirant

I would also really like for the type of motion to be passed to automation.  

Roaming neighborhood cats are quickly becoming my nemesis. 

GoosePatrol
Fledgling

ARLO'S implementation of Smart Notifications, and the ability to distinguish which activity the camera detects, i.e. PERSON, ANIMAL, PACKAGE, VEHICLE, or ANY MOTION - and the ability to send push notifications based on some or all of these has been a great success. In fact, this innovative feature is the reason we selected ARLO when building out our system, and for the most part if works quite well.

Unfortunately, ARLO does not offer Smart Notifications in their Partner Integrations with IFTTT, SmartThings, Zigbee, Alexa, Google, etc.  ARLO will report 'MOTION' to the partner integration, but nothing more.

This simple fact greatly diminishes the value of ARLO. We have a need to integrate ARLO with other smart devices but simply cannot do so effectively without the smart notification.

Please consider adding smart notifications to all partner integrations such that instead of reporting 'MOTION DETECTED' they report:

• ANIMAL DETECTED
  • PERSON DETECTED
  • PACKAGE DETECTED
  • VEHICLE DETECTED
  • MOTION DETECTED

This enhancement will dramatically increase the value of the system. We are happy to pay the subscription fee to receive the Smart Notifications, however, an SMS push notification is only part of the job.

Please update the partner integrations with a full implementation of smart notifications as depicted above.

Kind regards,

GoosePatrol

luidin
Novice

I fully agree with this request, not being able to trigger events based on these detections in other devices renders it quite useless. The value that Arlo could bring to the table is in the integrations. 

satguy
Novice

I've trying to determine if there is a way to get smart notifications into a home automation sequence.  I've tried using IFTTT, HomeKit and Google Automator, but none seem to be able to detect a smart notification trigger in lieu of generic motion sensing.  Is it possible to have an automation when when a person or animal is detected and it runs an automation, such as turning on a light? 

I'm currently using the smart notification free trial if that matters.

BSMO66
Initiate

Well this is ironic.  I gave up on getting this functionality and cancelled my ArloSmart subscription last month.  Today I got notification from IFTTT that now have this available to trigger on specific objects.  It has been almost three years!  I hope this works as expected.

Mandatoryswe
Tutor

Holy moly, thx man for notifying us of this!! I found it in IFTTT now as well, need to play around with it later, looks very promising! Can’t believe it is here after waiting for years 😄