Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Smart Person/Animal/Vehicle Detection for SmartThings, IFTTT, Google Assistant, Alexa, etc.

One of the purposes of the Arlo Smart person detection is to filter out unwanted motion from trees and shadows to elimate many uwanted notifications.  This feature has worked well for me, but is missing the integration with my SmartThings hub and IFTTT.  I would like the same notification rules to follow through to my home automation products.  Right now I get only the person detection notifications I want, but any motion triggers events for home automation.  Please let me know how to integrate the new Arlo Smart features with your home automation partners.  As this is a premium/paid service, I hope this option will be available soon.

Comments
TaylorJD
Follower

PLEASE add an IFTTT Trigger for "Vehicle", "Person" and "Animal" and not just a general Motion event.  If there was a way for IFTTT to know what kind of motion triggered the event, then I could do so much more in my Home Automation. I could announce that a car was coming up my driveway, turning on the correct lights and do different things for a person or animal and ignore a tree or flag blowing in the wind. This would be a huge deal and would make Arlo a much more useful product.    

dob1977
Fledgling
I would also find adding an IFTTT trigger/filter for "Vehicle", "Person" and "Animal" this incredibly useful, at the moment I can't find any real use for the IFTTT integration. I get numerous animal / other events that I don't want triggering my applets actions. I'd see this as a compelling reason to subscribe to the smart subscription.
TaylorJD
Follower

I love your cameras! I have 12 of them (Pro and Ultra). They are a great addition to my Home Automation. What would make them a WHOLE LOT BETTER is to add a "Vehicle" and "Person" Trigger to the IFTTT app! This would allow me to do Home Automation actions based on People and Cars and not just on "Motion". That would be a game-changer!

kiwi-racer
Fledgling
Im looking at getting 2 sets of camera's, 8-10 for each location. Person detection with a trigger is key for me, via IFTTT or something else that can trigger my automation systems to turn on lights (zigbee) and also make phone call alerts. Seems like Arlo is better than Google IQ who recently closed their API, but lacks exposing the powerful features of their platform. I am looking at other camera's with AI detection now that have more open API's.
halxp
Onlooker
Sadly, paying for Smart Notifications is useless with the current IFTTT integration as it does not offer to filter triggers with "person, animal, vehicle, motion". IFTTT gets triggered on all motions.

My humble "software engineer tech director with 17yrs of experience" feeling is that's a low hanging fruit task, shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to code and test a first version.
halxp
Onlooker

Plus: it could get more people to pay for Arlo Smart. Everybody wins. 🙂

Andrew8559
Novice

Unbelievable. Please please please add a feature to only record people. That would allow me to trigger lights etc. at night less often and not piss off the neighbors.  I am probably going to return my 5 cameras. Crazy.

KoenVanlent
Follower

please add IFTTT integration for smart notifications: the current implementation with just basic notifications is useless if you pay for smart notifications on the Arlo cams.

Mandatoryswe
Tutor

I think there are a lot of us eagerly awaiting this functionality, can just add myself to the long list of people and subscribe to this thread to see if anything happens 🙂

luionline
Novice
I’m using my Arlo cameras to flash my lamp when it detects motion via ifttt. It would be great if I could set it up to flash the lights only when it detects people instead of just motion. Cats set it off regularly which becomes annoying and detracts from it usefulness.
Thanks. Very happy with the system otherwise.