Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Go access SD card storage remotely

I received an email from netgear saying one of my Arlo Go cameras went off network for a while and the camera recorded an event to the camera's SD card.  I was surprised to find out that I cannot view the recorded event thru the Arlo mobile app library feature once the camera came back online.  After contacting the Arlo Go technical support, the rep says the only way to view the event is to go to the camera, remove the SD card and view with a computer.  Given this camera was designed with the sole purpose of operating wirelessly (power or communication) in remote areas it seems like a major oversight to not allow access to the SD card via the Arlo mobile app once the camera is back online.  Not a completely thought out design if I have to frequently drive to a remote location in order to access the camera footage.  Only had Arlo Go for 4 months.  Hopefully this doesn't start happening often.  Would think the camera should be able to read as well as write to the SD Card.  If so then a firmware update to the camera and software update for the Arlo app should be all thats needed.

Comments
alien_scones
Apprentice

I would like to comment on this.

With the goal of saving data/maximizing data, I suggest the ARLO GO camera create/have a low bandwidth mode, where all events are recorded to the SD card, and only send notifications with a still image, multiple still images, or if you really want to go over the top, an animated GIF of the beginning of motion be sent via email or app or library.

Then, if I am interested in that event, I should be able to retreive the recorded event wirelessly without having to remove the SD card.    This could potentially save battery and huge amounts of data. 

DevonTT
Apprentice

I second this idea. We frequently lose connectivity with the network. It would be nice to see if there were any events while the camera was offline. Seems it should be easy enough to program the camera to upload recordings that were made while disconnected.

AAAStorage
Novice

It seems that while some of the features of the Arlo Go are intended for limited power/wifi access, but one thing that was not anticipated/handled for more rural situations is that many times we never see more than 2 bars of LTE.  

I propose that these cameras should be able to record to the SD cards in full resolution regardless of the status of the LTE connection strength.  Unfortunately, right now, because my cameras only get 2 bars of LTE, all my recordings are dropped to a resolution that can be uploaded with a poor connection.  This means that instead of 720p, I'm getting a typical resolution of 640x352.  This is really unfortunate.  All of a sudden, because I'm not standing next to the femtocell in the store, my product performance it nothing like what was demo'd to me, and regardless of local storage as an option, I can't fix it.

Thanks for your time.