Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Geofencing - Force Location Update

Hi, I would like to suggest do add a button to re-check your actual location. Sometimes even if you are at home it keeps telling that you are away and alerting every motion. Turning GPS, wifi, mobile data off, doesn't work. The only way is to disable geofencing then enable it again. Too much work. Hope this can be improved.

Comments
mrstooge
Fledgling

I dont need to make a lengthy post, I just wanted to make sure that my voice is heard that I also continue to have geofencing issues.  I followed every suggesgtion for correcting this issue and it DOES NOT WORK.  

LucyF
Onlooker

Same issue. 2 phones connected (1 iphone, 1 android). When phones are in-zone, it works. Hopwever, it does not change when we leave the zone. Thoroughly frustrating!

Netgear, can you comment on when this will be fixed? On the verge of returning this..

Bass_Ackwards
Novice

Geofencing has gotten worse for me. Back in the day when geofencing was still in beta it worked most of the time. Over the last 6 months or so I've gotten the issue, with seemingly increasing frequency, that it would not register me coming home and I would have to log into the app and it would immediately then recognize I'm home and change modes. Now it does not recognize me coming home or leaving, even when I log into the app, go to geofencing mode, and can clearly see on the internal map showing my home radius that I am very much in or out of said radius, the device status still does not change to the appropriate setting. The only way to correct is to manually change the setting, then go back to the geofencing mode. This seemingly is no longer an issue occuring some of the time, it is now occuring with almost every time I leave or return to my home, as such I'm pretty much forced to just diable geofencing and change the settings manually.

Its frustrating and odd that this functionality has gotten progressively worse over time rather than better, but especially frustrating given its 2018, geofencing is much more common amongst apps and phone's are much more readily able to embrace it (my philips hue and august lock have ZERO issues with geofencing settings, EVER) and really isn't something a SECURITY device should be struggling this much with. 

enjoychewy
Apprentice
I'm going to jump back in and hope the Netgear staff mods notice - FIX GEOFENCING on the native Arlo app! To everyone else, there is a workaround, but I'm going to highlight that it completely diminishes the value of the Arlo system over all and would still be grounds of refund, at least in the jurisdiction I live in (Australia). Basically Australian Consumer Law states that if I bought a product that was supposed to do something as advertised and it doesn't perform as expected, I'm entitled to a full refund.. Workaround - use IFTTT, it seems geofencing on the IFTTT platform works better than the native Arlo app on Android (Netgear - shame on you). Note you can't use the IFTTT Arlo designed applets on Android for geofencing because, guess what - it's for iOS only! You either have to find one made by another user (aka Maker) or you can very easily make one yourself using the Applet creator on the IFTTT app. Also note that Arlo in combination with IFTTT doesn't allow you to use custom Arlo modes that the native Arlo app lets you do. For example, I have Arlo set to record on motion at night, for certain cameras and not trigger the alarm. Where as Arlo is supposed to go to Armed and trigger the alarm and record when I'm out of geofencing area. IFTTT only allows you to arm, disarm or record a video (the last one largely pointless). I see Stringifiy also pairs with Arlo, so I presume that'll work too.. BUT I'm going to make it EVEN CLEARER for ARLO ENGINEERS - I AND EVERYONE ELSE HERE DID NOT BUY A "DUMB" SMART CAMERA SYSTEM THAT ONLY ALLOWS ME TO ARM AND DISARM! I BOUGHT A SMART CAMERA SYSTEM SO I CAN CUSTOMISE MY MODES AND HAVE GEOFENCING WORK!
KajsaS
Fledgling

Hello simple solotion since arlo uses WIFI let the app check if the basestation and the phones are connected to the same WIFI your obvisioly home

enjoychewy
Apprentice

Got nothing to do with wifi and that's not how Arlo has implemented geofencing. Would you clarify what you mean? If you're suggesting that the Arlo engineering team impliment a Wifi sensing feature to disarm Arlo, I completely agree and wish they'd listen!

KajsaS
Fledgling
I know current solution doesnt include wifipositioning but thats often used in gps tracking and here its very easy to include in the app. Fixed in a week including tests
LucyF
Onlooker

With all the frustration around geofencing on this thread, I am surprised no one from the Netgear staff has commented on the status of fixing this issue. Just about every other company with a well managed support website will monitor the comments and jump in from time to time to assure their customers they are listening.

That being said, does anyone know of any third party apps that will support Arlo geofencing?

enjoychewy
Apprentice
@LucyF - I guess as a customer, I'll answer the question on behalf of Netgear (are you listening Netgear???) - Yes, try IFTTT or Stingify. They work quite well. On IFTTT, (and if you're on Android) don't use the Arlo made applets for geofencing because, surprise surprise, they don't work with Android, only iOS. You'll have to make your own applet which is very easy to do. Just follow IFTTT prompts and you'll get there in no time. I've tried IFTTT's geofencing and it works just fine. Only problem is that you can't use custom modes which is the whole point of Arlo really.
enjoychewy
Apprentice
@KajsaS - are you suggesting that you've managed to get the Arlo app to work using wifi location? Or are you saying that out of experience with another project you've worked on? If you've got it to work on the Arlo app somehow, please feel free to share how you achieved it.