Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Doorbell camera

Hi there,

there is a product that I nearly purchased, sent to me from iPhone magazine, it's called "Skybell WIFI Doorbell"

Which is obviously a doorbell with a camera that communicates with your router & smartphone, and not only can you see the person, you can talk to them too. Plus it was waterproof. I thought I really want something like that, but what stopped me buying it was it was not totally wireless like the Arlo systems I have bought. It needs to connect to a physical power source, not battery powered, so given that total wireless was the main reason for my netgear Arlo purchases, I couldn't buy that doorbell system.

I really hope that Netgear and their Arlo team come to up with something similar, as I would definitely buy one if it was available.

Cheers

Ross

Comments
JamesC
Community Manager

The current design allows for the most flexibility in camera placement to get the perfect angle depending on the specific environment for your doorbell setup. If you'd like to see an alternate design in the future, visit the Arlo Idea Exchange and post on the existing threads there supporting this idea.

JamesC

Jlynn56
Fledgling
I agree that a camera is needed in the doorbell. I would like to have the straight forward view of the camera feature in a doorbell. This way you have another view of people coming to the door.
jhelewa
Fledgling

I also agree, the camera needs to be at a level we can see someones face, a camera embedded in the doorbell would be best for us.   I already own 3 three Arlo Pro cameras but can't position any to view someone at the front door from the angle we want.   

DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Any chance that a video doorbell will make it to market? Very disappointing that Arlo is audio only. I would like to “see” the person coming to the door. Mounting a camera is an option, if it’s inconspicuous (read above eye level) I get to view the top of someone’s head. If I want to see the face of the visitors the camera must be low enough that it is an easy target for theft. A wired video doorbell would take care of these issues. If Arlo ever joins the competition I would be in line for 5 to cover both  my and my daughters home.

Tiberyus
Novice

I have three Arlo Pro cameras and I still want a doorbell with a camera integrated.  I get that your product guys and marketing folks want to separate yourselves from the camera doorbell market.  But your attempt is lackluster and not what the market wants.  Square peg round hole.  Audio only..... seriously!

Typically people are going to mount the Arlo cameras in a place that is not easy to reach.  Generally higher off the ground...  I would wager that 90% do this.  Who wants to risk a $200+  camera investment?  The problem with this is that you get the top of peoples heads more often than not.  Whereas a doorbell camera actually gets your visitors dead on.  You are able to have an excellent view of the faces of the people in front of your door.  Heck, just the fact that Arlo provides 7 day cloud recording sets you apart from the majority of the doorbell camera companies.

I personally would use the Arlo Pro camera to get the big area view at my door and an Arlo doorbell camera to capture who is at my door.  But having a doorbell that only does audio is worthless.  Especially when the cameras already do audio.  Go and check your sales statistics and I bet you that they are not so good.  

Please forgive my cynical tone.  I am a fan, I really am.  But I also am not going to hold back when I see a product that simply has no place in the majority of this market.

DonB900
Novice

I have several cameras and your base.  Work great I do not know of any other cameras that can do better.

Bought your door bell.  Thought it had camera  - My bad.  No camera in door bell  - Your bad.  I am now returning the door bell.

I read the reasons you do not have a door bell with a camera.  You are so wrong.  Most people want a small camera at their front rather than your larger camera.  I do not really need a door bell camera, I just want a small camera for front security.

Now I need to decide whether to dump your system and go for one of you competitors who have a small camera, although I do not need the door bell.

Not having a smaller camera defeats the quality of the cameras you do have.

Don B.

Garhaw
Aspirant

Does anyone know if there are plans for an Arlo video doorbell?

mabermo
Guide

I disagree that the current design provides the most flexibility. The one place where I would really like to place a camera, where I would get a great facial view of a person approaching my door, is right on MY DOORBELL. Yet I can't put my Arlo camera there, because my doorbell is there, and it would protrude and look ridiculous. Please make a video doorbell.

astinton
Initiate

I'm just adding my support for a doorbell with built in camera.  The ability to have  that frontal image of someone's face would be very beneficial in the event of break in or porch pirates.  I would seriously look at a competitor but I'd like to keep everything in one ecosystem and app. I can only wait so long though!