Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Doorbell camera

Hi there,

there is a product that I nearly purchased, sent to me from iPhone magazine, it's called "Skybell WIFI Doorbell"

Which is obviously a doorbell with a camera that communicates with your router & smartphone, and not only can you see the person, you can talk to them too. Plus it was waterproof. I thought I really want something like that, but what stopped me buying it was it was not totally wireless like the Arlo systems I have bought. It needs to connect to a physical power source, not battery powered, so given that total wireless was the main reason for my netgear Arlo purchases, I couldn't buy that doorbell system.

I really hope that Netgear and their Arlo team come to up with something similar, as I would definitely buy one if it was available.

Cheers

Ross

Comments
techmex
Follower

This is so lame Arlo.  I think I am done waiting.  Nest here I come.

Seriously?!  No camera?  What’s the point?  This is so useless.    The point of a doorbell/camera duo is so the camera is flush against the door and relatively inconspicuous.  

This is Arlo’s “new Coke” moment.  

Looks like im getting a ring camera afte.

RCobb
Tutor

Id like to see a doorbell camera from Arlo.  Ring and Nest are dominating this market.  I’d rather have a doorbell that works with my Arlo network/hardware rather than having an additional system from another company.  

tobes
Aspirant

If this is under £50 then fine, but over that then I will just get a ring system as its pointless for the price as my camera can tell me someone is at the door and I can see them. Considering this thread is years old it's too little too late. 2 years ago this would have been fine combined with the camera system, but now not so much. Having said I would have to see the system, if it seamless shows the doorbell then goes straight to a selected camera, and it does not get int the way of my other camera alerts then fine. I cent see many people spending over £80 for this though as it should be an accessory to a bigger system without a camera. Thats my opinon anyway, a comment at some point from Arlo would be nice as they must be reading this?? Yes I am am a bit forward, but I think my comments have been quite nice, saves doing the market research LOL. 

steve_t
Master

This seems a weird offering but if it means that the audio is nearly lag-free, then I'm all for it. The biggest problem I see with most camera+audio including the Arlo Pro and Pro 2 cameras is that there is too much lag so dialogue is stunted. Removing the video stream from the doorbell itself could reduce the amount of data and thus the lag?? Not having a camera onboard does preclude this from being a standalone doorbell solution though. Additional benefits would be longer battery life for those not hardwiring as well as not having video of people's stomachs. 
Guess we'll wait and see what price point it comes in at too

Mikest00
Onlooker

Lag is usually due to Wifi speed or interference. I have very little problems due to lag with my ring. Also, with the Arlo doorbell it doesn’t look like there is any motion detection only doorbell ring. 

Nethalite
Apprentice

Guess people will be getting the Ring security camera door bell or Maximus camera porch light. I know some of us would rather see who is at our door than talk to someone. 

JamesC
Community Manager

RCobb,

The Arlo Doorbell is coming soon! For more information take a look here: Arlo Doorbell

JamesC

RCobb,

The Arlo Doorbell is coming soon! For more information take a look here: Arlo Doorbell

JamesC

James C... RCobb said that he wants a "doorbell camera".  Not a doorbell that can be networked with a separate existing camera.  Clearly there is a demand in the market for an all-in-one doorbell camera.  The doorbell location is the perfect position to get a clear image of someone's face.  When cameras are positioned higher or off to the side (like Arlo cameras typically are) a simple ballcap can obscure a person's identity from a camera.  All of the current Arlo cameras are bulky and can't easliy be placed alongside a doorbell.  The cameraless Arlo doorbell does nothing to address this problem.  Ring offers four different doorbell camera options.  Why can't netgear offer at least one?

Can we expect version 2.0 of the Arlo doorbell to have an actual camera?    Version 1.0 is a product that no one is really asking for.

RCobb
Tutor

With all due respect James, I appreciate your reply regarding the Arlo audio doorbell.  However, as Sentry Turret Observer stated, the doorbell placement of a camera is ideal for persons approaching the door and can get a good close image of the face, an image perhaps useful for identification purposes.  I doubt I’ll be purchasing an audio doorbell, even though it coordinates with the camera, since I am not really interested in chatting with strangers.  I believe Netgear is missing an opportunity to grab a portion of the customers that are rushing to Nest and Ring.