Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Doorbell camera

Hi there,

there is a product that I nearly purchased, sent to me from iPhone magazine, it's called "Skybell WIFI Doorbell"

Which is obviously a doorbell with a camera that communicates with your router & smartphone, and not only can you see the person, you can talk to them too. Plus it was waterproof. I thought I really want something like that, but what stopped me buying it was it was not totally wireless like the Arlo systems I have bought. It needs to connect to a physical power source, not battery powered, so given that total wireless was the main reason for my netgear Arlo purchases, I couldn't buy that doorbell system.

I really hope that Netgear and their Arlo team come to up with something similar, as I would definitely buy one if it was available.

Cheers

Ross

Comments
LondonDave
Novice
I'd like to see netgear creat a product that could integrate an Internet enabled doorbell / intercom into an existing Alro network. There are several products like this on (or coming to) the market. However, I'd prefer to have these functions included in my Arlo interface / alerts / video storage. Obviously this would require two way audio - for the intercom function. Ideally, the camera would replace or use an existing peep hole in my door. The doorbell, microphone/ & speaker would replace my doorbell button.
KristynM
Arlo Moderator

LondonDave,

That is a wonderful idea you have to share with both the Community and to our developers. The development team is always looking for new ideas to improve our Arlo system. I encourage you to Kudos your idea as well as take a look at other ideas in our Arlo Idea Exchange board and Kudos posts you would also agree as an enhancement feature.

Regards,

KristynM

Spike_101
Novice
I have been looking for a product that does the same thing. It would make perfect sense to add one to the Arlo range. I hope they develop one.
Spike_101
Novice
Arlo is nearly a perfect system except it does not have a doorbell with video. It cannot be hard to produce and with lots of other companies selling them for the £200 mark it would be an easy money maker as well.
rooksie
Novice

I would love to see a "peep hole" camera mount.  One of the problems with the existing mounting systems is they are not very stealth nor do they get a good view of the person if they are standing too close to the door.  A camera that mounts/doubles as a "peep hole" would look like a standard peep hole on the outside and the camera portion could be on the inside of the door.  This would make the camera both stealth and give a better view of the person at the door.

Just an idea...

Smiley Happy

TomMac
Guru

Good idea ... you should post here;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange

As a PS, fyi , with the new sw , the Q cam will be released soon,  It is ac powered, 24/7 cam and detects motion thru windows..if you have a window nearby it may do what you need

PJMLAW
Apprentice

Tom - A big sincere thank you for all of your wise and honest contributions.  I usually look for your name when I sign on and read your posts first.  Always learning.  Regards. 

rooksie
Novice

I would love to see a "peep hole" camera mount.  One of the problems with the existing mounting systems is they are not very stealth nor do they get a good view of the person if they are standing too close to the door.  A camera that mounts/doubles as a "peep hole" would look like a standard peep hole on the outside and the camera portion could be on the inside of the door.  This would make the camera both stealth and give a better view of the person at the door.

Just an idea...

JK2015
Star

I have a camera that is looking down on my front poarch - works nice but if someone is wearing a hat or hoodie there is no way to identify them.  

How about a camera that would fit through the door where the "peep hole."  Could then set up a rule that if the downward facing camera is set off - both cameras record.

JustLearning
Apprentice
A great idea.