Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo 2 Must Offer Longer USB External Power Cables To Support Code-Compliant Installation

Hi - I have installed Arlo Pro 2 cameras on the outside of my house and am happy with the daytime and nighttime picture quality. However, I don't want to have to change batteries, so I want to supply external power to the cameras, and I want to provide that power in a code-compliant fashion so inspectors don't force me to make changes when I make future changes. The 8.2 foot length of the VMA4900 cable is simply too short to provide external power in a code-compliant way in many locations, even on a small 1500 square food single-story wood frame home.

I spoke to my local city planners yesterday. To provide power to an outdoor security camera in a code-compliant way, the (in this case USB) power cord from the camera must run all the way back to a router (or adapter) which is plugged directly into a wall outlet without the use of extension cords. It's not reliably the case that there's a power outlet within 8.2 feet of all desirable camera locations, even when you are willing to drill through walls (which I am).

I will be able to use the VMA4900 to provide code-compliant power in 1-3 locations, but there's another couple of locations where I need to place the camera and there's simply no outlet within 8.2 feet even if I drill through walls, run the USB cord into the crawlspace, etc.

I would be happy to add on a USB extender cable, but the design of the VMA4900 doesn't allow this. (I understand that there are issues with power attenuation over increased cable length.) I would be happy to pay more for a device with a powered USB line and/or a longer cable, but Arlo doesn't sell one at this time.

I would be happy to use a third-party power adapter, but I have read that doing this might invalidate the warranty on the battery and/or camera and that Arlo has taken technical measures to block the use of such third-party adapters.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/Arlo-Pro-2-outdoor-power-cables/m-p/1535757

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/Arlo-Pro-2-Extended-Outdoor-Power-Cable/m-p/1407532

I am open to using a solar power charger, but I've read that the one Arlo offers doesn't provide enough power to support activity zones and CVR:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/Does-the-Arlo-Pro-2-work-with-the-Solar-panel/td-p/1390982

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro/solar-panel.aspx#VMA4600-100NAS

Has anyone tried the approach of using a solar panel large enough to provide AC outlet power that you can then plug the MA4900 into with appropriate weather shielding? (This seems like a really inefficient approach vs direct DC-to-DC.)

Does anyone know of a power input adapter for the Arlo Pro 2 charging port that we can use to connect it to standard power chargers of other kinds to open us up to other longer cables, even with possible loss of warranty coverage?

Arlo: Please provide one or more of the following solutions:

1) A power adapter with a MUCH longer cable (at least 20' minimum -- preferably with options for much longer cables e.g. 50-100 feet if desired)

2) A solar charger that enables full use of all the Arlo Pro 2's features

3) The ability to use third-party adapters with longer cables without invalidating the warranty on the battery and/or the camera, and a commitment to support the use of such third-party products long-term

Comments
Knubby
Fledgling
I have the same issue. Any update on solutions?
chadmacc88
Novice

Arlo really needs to product a longer charging cable.  8ft is not very long. I would need 20 feet.  Thanks.

braap
Novice

Hopefully I'm just missing something here, but I can't find an outdoor pro 2 cable longer than 8'. I can't believe they would make an outdoor camera yet only provide 8' of cord. The aftermarket cords don't seem to work longer than 6 months. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thank you. 

Hudsonite
Tutor

I have discovered the same thing. I've tried three different aftermarket cords, and each one has failed to work. I keep getting an error message on the camera saying it can't charge with the cord. I'm beginning to think Arlo intentionally sabotaged my cameras so they won't work with anything but their pathetic 8' cable.

Dannybear
Master
Just an observation, the voltage drops along the cable and proportional to the current drainage of the cameras.
The highest current is during the charging period coinciding with a night time recording.
The maximum cable distance is likely the reason 8ft is used for the wire gauge used in the cable for reliability.

NWKaty
Aspirant

If you want ARLO to listen to the consumer, stop buying from them and spread the word of their lack of functioning equipment and then purchase from their competitors. You'll be satisfied while they scratch their heads to decide how to improve for the next generation of buyers. That's what I'm doing.