Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Apple HomeKit

To integrate arlo into the Apple Home Kit would be a great improvement.

Now I have a great camera system with an app, a weather station with an app and some other sensors in the Apple home kit and they do not work together. 

E.g. an alarm could be triggered by the motion sensor of the camera or the camera could be switched on by a door or windows sensor even if the motion sensor is not activated because the object is too far away and so on. There are a lot of possibilities with connecting the systems. 

Is this planned to do?

Comments
kennysamuerto
Follower

I am seriously considering selling my Arlo Pro, to acquire compatible cameras with HomeKit.

Any news on that for me not to sell them?

StretfordEnder
Apprentice

Netgear’s silence on this issue astounds me. 

The other day Apple released further detail about software authentication for HomeKit with iOS 11.3 (now in beta testing). I don’t see why Netgear engineers can’t now tell us (a) whether the tech used in Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 systems can cope with Apple’s requirements and (2) whether Netgear intends to actually do it. 

Its not rocket science. 

PBA
Observer
Observer

The Arlo 2 base station works with Amazon Alexa, IFTTT, SmartThings & Stringify. 

Apple has announced iOS 11.3 includes HomeKit software authentication, which  "provides a great new way for developers to add HomeKit support to existing accessories while protecting privacy and security." This was supposed to be in iOS 11 a while back, but it appears to be coming soon.

Netgear, no excuses now.

If Arlo 2 does not annouce HomeKit support when iOS 11.3 arrives, I will buy a camera ecosystem that does.

Ursulak
Tutor

The silence on the issue from Netgear has silently caused us to move away from them. Here's something interesting to think about, especially if you're considering buying an Arlo system. 

We spent several thousand on a multihub system, selling it to switch to a homekit enabled system we struggled to get 38% of our initial purchase price. Given such a low ROI, we decided to keep it and use it in the barn (a place of less importance), changing out the home system for a HK enabled system. Since we also had other DLink cameras already, this was a natural investment to expand that line and DLink has committed to the platform expansion. The pricing is comparable. There are several temperature limitations (very cold) with the newer pro devices as well which have caused us to move away from the platform as we are in a northern climate. 

Like buying a car, ask yourself what the resale value of it is - that tells you something about how the market perceives it. The most common question I was asked during the selling of it - Is it HK compatable?

Given this information I suspect HK seeking purchasers are not purchasing Arlo systems and buying something else. This thread is for the few of us who had hopes but alas made a mistake, or for those who are savy enough to research before a purchase and Netgear will never realize sale. With the battle of the big three for the home market, I am surprised a 'gadget' manufacturer is rich enough to enable only a partial spectrum of the market over their competitors. 

I wish everyone the best with their systems, we've moved on and have considered our Arlo system deprecated and dead end product for our needs. 

Jndr43
Novice

Make Arlo compatible with Apple Homekit!! Please!!

jwbhm
Fledgling

Netgear? When will this happen?

markf22
Observer

Netgear Engineers - Please note that many in the community have expressed frustration at a non-reply RE: Apple HomeKit.   My guess is that the introduction of HomeKit on the baby cam is sort of a blackbox testing - but if you fail to respond to customers that have and are willing to spend money on your more expensive line of cameras you will very likely lose your customer base.  If only due to frustation.  A simple response goes a long way to appease customers.  I for one - have already decided that I will not keep my Arlo Pro 2 setup once a HomeKit capable competitor is in the Arena.  Thanks for helping to solidify this decision.

RandyPortland
Initiate

I decided to waste a few minutes and actually call Netgear.  Of course, I got a call center likely located in the Phillipines.  

The response I received was intentionally deceptive and generic - "At this time, we do not support Home Kit".  Gee, thanks for being obvious.  

I am interpreting this as a simple, "NO", they have no intentions on responding to people about Home Kit because if they give a difinitve "NO" response people will simply buy another product. If they say yes, then they will be expected to respond to inquiries about the progress.  String them along on hopes, but no promises. 

StretfordEnder
Apprentice

Netgear’s silence for getting on two years speaks volumes for its view of the customer base. 

Even a “sorry we won’t be supporting it” would at least be some sort of response. 

But clearnt they’d rather not tell us.

PBA
Observer
Observer

Homecam app for HomeKit cameras gains powerful new controls, video switching on Apple TV

Does not work with Arlo, because Arlo does not support HomeKit Smiley Sad